A Good Day

Yesterday was such a good day. Rory was just delightful, and we had a great day together. Camden came home from school in a good mood, and we all enjoyed a couple of games of Uno. Even Brian had a decent day at school. It's nice when everyone has a good day all at the same time.

Our good day didn't quite extend into the night, however. Rory has done this three nights in a row now. She goes to bed as normal, and then about 15 minutes later starts sobbing and crying for me. She has never done this before, and she does not typically do alot of crying. Each night I've tried to comfort her, but nothing works but to get her out and put her in the carrier. Not sure what is causing this, and I don't want to start a bad trend, but I'm also not prepared to leave her sobbing in the crib.

After the excitement with Rory, I was wide awake and didn't go to sleep until sometime around 2:00 a.m., so I'm a bit tired this morning. Maybe I'm still on Olympic time. In all my free time last night, I decided that I need to be reading parenting books again so I started The Strong Willed Child for about the 4th time. Maybe this time I'll actually finish it. I've also got on the "to-read" list Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood, Creative Correction, and Parenting is Not for Cowards. I probably shouldn't tell you that I've started each of these books several times. I'm feeling determined to actually finish them this time. I think we can all use a bit of professional parenting help from time to time. One parenting book I actually did finish and really loved (and should probably read again) is Revolutionary Parenting. I'm also thinking about buying Scream-Free Parenting.

Rory's developed a new habit that is quite funny, although we don't let her or Camden see us laughing. When Camden gets in trouble and we send him to time out, she follows him and just chews him out. When he sits down, she'll put her hand on her hip, point her finger and rant away. It's hilarious, but we always stop her cause it's not fair to Camden, obviously. We're not sure where she got the finger-pointing because I don't think either of us do that.

On today's agenda is keeping the kiddos from killing each other - there have been multiple fights already. Rory is getting quite good at hitting and pinching. Any idea on how to stop that? I suspect if Camden would stay out of her personal space, it might help. We're also making a trip to Vanderbilt for Rory's hearing test. I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong, but our doctor wanted her to have it so we're doing it.

Our prayers worked yesterday because Mayme is leaving Thursday for China. I am so excited for them and cannot wait to meet Emma. I've already decided she is going to be Rory's best friend. :) At bedtime every night, we all pray and when Rory prays (jabbers), the two distinguishable words are Emma and Amen. It's so sweet.

A very interesting thing happened yesterday. Rory and I were on the couch looking at my scrapbook pages that had arrived in the mail. I showed her the picture with her foster mother, and Rory immediately pointed to her and said, "Omma" (Korean for mama). Now, we haven't shown her pictures because she got so upset in the first couple of weeks when she would see pictures. We had planned to reintroduce her to them a little later. I was shocked that she would recognize her so quickly. I'm happy, though. I don't want her to forget.

Here are a few pictures from one evening last week.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Well...I am doing Melissa's job of double checking schedules in registration today, so in my boredom I read your blog. I think your kiddos get cuter and cuter every day. We sure miss you around here!
Lynsey
KrisJ said…
Amazing how they dont forget. Your kids are both gorgeous!
Karen said…
I'm so happy for the good news about Mayme! I also wanted to tell you that Sam has issues giving people personal space, too, so he's gotten his fair share of shoves and pinches from kids who just don't like it. He had a teacher who made him hold his arms out to make a circle in front of himself to demonstrate "personal space." Now, when he's getting too close to someone and it's annoying them, we ask him where his personal space is. He shows us, and knows to back up if he can't fully extend his arms. I think it's kind of taught him that he has some control over when other kids mess with him, if that makes any sense. Good luck! I think I'm going to check out a few of those books on your list!
Anonymous said…
I've heard really great thing about scream-free parenting. My MFT supervisor was reccommending the book just a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking of adding it to my collection of books as well! It sounds like you are making great decisions as a mommy even though they aren't the easiest :)
Kari
liesel said…
Thank you for signing my blog. Your kids are gorgeous. I wish I knew how to do the little designs like you have. Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel