I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD. -Psalms 27:13-14
1. If you haven't seen the movie Hidden Figures yet, Brian and I both thought it was outstanding. I can't wait for the kids to see it, both for the historical aspect of the space program as well as the challenges race and gender present. Getting out the door Saturday afternoon for dinner and a movie felt like a minor miracle, and we came home to seriously feuding children and a 13-year old boy who had managed to spend several hours locked in his handcuffs. We have giggled about this all week long. About the handcuffs, not the feuding.
2. Becky sent us a free HelloFresh box and I can't wait to give it a try (our box arrives just in time for next weekend). If you want to try it out yourself, click my referral link for $40 off your first box and I will receive a $20 credit. I've only seen rave reviews!
3. Scan results came in Wednesday and the bad news is the cancer is not shrinking. The good news is the cancer is stable and I will continue with the current treatment. It's hard not to feel disappointment that all of the time at the doctor and sick days are not having a measurable result although I did find out later that my CA125 has decreased considerably since November, which is definitely positive.
One extra special blessing this week was the barista at our local coffee shop (Golly G's if you're anywhere near us) who asked if she could pray over me Tuesday morning. It was such a special thing for her to do and a needed reminder that I should be a lot more willing to offer a public prayer when I see someone hurting. It's much easier to just whisper that prayer in my head, but what a blessing if I just took the extra 60 seconds to pray in their presence.
4. Friends, we are in a hard parenting season. I'm not sure I could have imagined the challenges that have come our way at age 10 and 13. It's hard to know what is typical behavior and what is related to our life situation. Sometimes (like this week especially) I feel so burdened with the desire to get this right, full of fear that I might not get it right. Never in my life have I needed this much wisdom and grace and patience. Yesterday I found this blog post I had saved three years ago, and I desperately needed the encouragement (I have teared up every. single. time). Maybe it will encourage you as well.
5. Valentine's Day is never too big of a deal around here, but this might have been an all-time low since I served leftover chili for the third night in a row (Becky says at least it was red). Between doctor's appointments, late basketball practices, etc., there was no time for romance! This chocolate (Brian gave me, Rory, and Camden a whole lot of chocolate) redeemed the day, although now I must fight the urge to eat it all day long.
You can't help but smile at these two.
Chemo recovery is sketchy this week so I've canceled my plans for today in hopes that I can go to Camden's last basketball game of the season tonight. My only goals for this weekend are to watch the newest episode of This Is Us and to finish Leaving Lucy Pear (which is excellent). Happy weekend!