5%

Today was not a good morning. I'm sure you've all had them, right? The kids are tired; you're tired. It's always a mad dash to get out the door, despite all the prep the night before. And 95% of the time we keep it together. We're patient. We respond the way a parent should as we try to teach our kids how to love each other well.

But then there's that 5% of the time when we lose our temper or do not react with kindness and love. And isn't it always that 5% that the kids emulate? Why is that? Why can't they pay attention to all the times we get it right?

Today was a morning like that. The kids were ugly to each other, to me. And at one point Camden actually lashed out and yelled at me in anger. I mean, really yelled at me. Something that hasn't happened around here yet. I've already meted out punishment and sent him off to school still angry, but as I drove home I kept thinking that he was just responding the way he's seen me respond. Granted, it's not often, but it still happens. And the only thing to do is apologize, start fresh the next day, and hope they'll one day remember the 95%.

Parenting is not easy, people.

In other news, this girl is spending the day with me. And even with her first stuffy nose and sneezing her little head off, she smiles!

DSC_4127

DSC_4130

DSC_4131

Notice the 2 new teeth?
DSC_4148

DSC_4138


Comments

Oh, I know those mornings. Blegh! I'm sorry that is how your day started though... TGIF, right?!
The good news is that in the 5%, you remember to apologize. That's not always easy for parents! Hopefully the kids will grow to emulate that behavior as well!
Alex said…
Oh I have SO been there! I'm sorry, those mornings are awful. But we are all human, a good chance to model asking for forgiveness. Not that I do that well, to be honest. We are always a work in progress right? So thankful the Lord never gives up on us! ;)
omg she is getting soo big and adorable, I love their first couple of teeth!

I am happy to hear that you only have that 5% of the time... mine seems soo much more lately! We all have bad days and hit our "breaking point"... You guys are fabulous parents! (ps..I have been in the same spot sending them off to school upset (both of us) and I hate it too!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5