Hello, 3rd Grade!

Since I'm blogging about school starting, I'm assuming you've caught on that we're not moving to Texas. More on that to come next week. Lots and lots of news and details.

But today's post - school. 

For many, many reasons, top of which was financial, we've been planning to sending both kids to Brian's public school this year. And for many, many reasons, we've agonized and not felt a peace about this at all. I know that many of you, okay the majority of America, send their kids to public schools, and that's fine. But it is incredibly important to us that our kids be taught from a Christian worldview and that their schooling reflects the same values we are teaching them at home. It was killing us to think about changing schools for Camden, not to mention starting Rory off with a different foundation than what Camden was privileged to experience. And once again, if you send your kids to public school, that's fine. But we also know (Brian has a first hand look every single day) that the public school education system is in deep, deep trouble even if we don't take into account the Christian perspective.

Thanks be to God because in the last week it became financially feasible for us to send both kids to Pleasant View Christian School, where Camden has attended the last 4 years. We're probably never going to get to take that beach vacation we dream about, Rory is certainly never going to get her Disney World trip, and we're going to drive our 12 year old vehicles to the ground, but that is A-okay with us if it means that we can send them to a school that not only provides a great academic foundation, but honors Christ.

So, that out of the way, Camden started 3rd grade today. He has been so excited for school, as usual. Remember, this is the kid who literally cries on the last day of school every year. But I could tell that he was super nervous this morning, mostly because he was so quiet. Something that just doesn't happen often in our house.

When we reached the door to his classroom and his teacher started forward to greet him, he literally took a step backward, said "no" and planted his feet. I could not have been more shocked! We had a quick little talk with him, and he went in and sat down. I know he'll be fine. His teacher is new to the school this year, but I know her from working at FWBBC, and she will be excellent.

Poor kid. I made him have a little photoshoot last night. Not completely successful partially because he is SO over pictures these days and partially because I felt like c.r.a.p. after my chemo treatment.

I also think my camera is having some focusing issues which is scaring me to death!

Yes, I made him pose with an apple. (photography info for those who are interested: this one is straight out of the camera and is clearly embracing the warm sun and haze. In retrospect, I wish I would have stuck with this location because I think it turned out lovely, but while I was shooting and looking in my camera view, it looked like it was just too much. Live and learn.)
DSC_3761

(we changed positions and this has my usual slightly hazy editing)
DSC_3859

And this one I snapped after I told him we were done; he was hoping to bite right into that apple and was looking for a clean spot. ;)
DSC_3865

And obligatory, very bad photos from school this morning.

Brian got to be there for the first day of school for the first time ever. They've changed our his school's calendar, and he doesn't have students until next week.
DSC_3874

Do you see the nerves here? Because I sure do!
DSC_3881

This is the first thing I noticed on his desk. Makes my heart sing.
DSC_3884

A quick goodbye.
DSC_3885

Rory and I met mom and Liz and Addison at Dunkin' Donuts. Yum!
DSC_3886

Rory had all of these yummy donuts to choose from, and she went back for an apple fritter.
DSC_3892

Mostly because that's what her daddy always chooses.
DSC_3896

DSC_3913

I know this has been a long post already, but just a couple more things. First, I'm on Lil Blue Boo's blog today, which makes me feel like a celebrity. ;) I have followed her blog for a long time - she is very crafty, which is ironic because I am NOT crafty. And then I followed her blog with a growing sense of horror as she was diagnosed and fought cancer last year. Miraculously, and I do mean miraculously, she is doing very well. You can see the post with me here.

Second, I mentioned Jen Burgess Thompson yesterday. In the last 24 hours, she's received bad, worse and worst news. I don't know her personally, just like many of you don't know me personally. But you still pray for me regularly. Please send some of those prayers Jen's way. My heart is so heavy for her family. And on a selfish note, I have to constantly remind myself that this is not my story. That her reality is not my reality.  But the devil worms his way into my head and makes me fear. And fear is a very powerful emotion; one that I do not want to rule my life.

Psalm 46 

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.t
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
8 Come and see what the Lord has done,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease
to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the shieldst with fire.
10 He says, "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.


Comments

Keesler Krew said…
Melissa,
Thank you for this post and sharing your feelings about Christian school so clearly!!! I totally agree with you and am thankful for friends who share my thoughts!!!
Barbara said…
My parents made a ton of sacrifices, many just like the ones you mention, to send me and my three siblings to a Christian school K-12. I don't feel like we missed out on stuff. Instead I truly admire them for what they did for us. I am now a public high school teacher, and we are starting our son in a public school, and while I'm at peace with that decision for now, I am prepared to make sacrifices for Christian education if necessary. Happy first day of school! We don't start till Sept 3rd here in Canada!
Gale Bamman said…
Can you explain a little further about Jen Burgess Thompson's latest condition? Her FB is full...no more can be added, and I can't get past June in her blog. I don't know her, but I fear for her. (We have a situation here -- my husband's returning cancer.) Thank you, Gale
Joy said…
Melissa, I totally agree with you. Plus a lot of the public schools in the area are not the fully funded, awesome programs schools that are found in other areas of the US. Sadly, many of them just get "what's left over" in funds and that's not how kids need to learn! Hope Camden settles back in today and is less apprehensive next week. Just hope they are all ready for Miss Rory in K! ; ). Plus, selfishly, I am so happy you guys are staying close by!!
Renee T. said…
My favorite two pics from this post----the one with Camden/apple on his head and the one with Brian and the kids--- so cute!
I actually have a partially drafted post on our thoughts for school as well.... I found this really reassuring and insightful. Thank you for sharing! And that photo of Camden with the apple on his head!? I swoon.

(I'm having focusing issues too... I've been searching to find a solution)

Lastly... I may need to plan a trip to Nashville. :-)
Paula said…
Oh Melissa it warms my heart to hear your kids will be at a Christian School! Our 3 kids went to a Christian School thru 7th, 5th and 2nd grade and it was the wisest money ever spent! Unfortunately the money ran out and now they have been in public for 2 years... which is going fine but nothing like getting the word in them and having the teachers pray with them every single school day. Yeah Camden and Rory!!!
I found your blog from Lil Blue Boo's and love it. Hope they had a great first day of school and you get some rest! I look forward to following you in the future. Have a great day!
Amy said…
Well, I'm a few days behind on my blog reading. :) So thankful with you that your kids will be at PVCS this year. I know that is an answer to prayer. I'm looking forward to hearing more details about your staying in TN. The pictures are great of Camden...how did he end up in 3rd grade? Wasn't he just the one in K?

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)