Not Plan B

Some of you, some more than others, know how we have agonized over the last 18 months what direction our life should take. We felt such a strong call to missions several years ago, but nothing ever quite panned out. Two years ago we felt that God was calling us to Texas to help start a new church, then cancer happened. Fast forward to March of this year and we thought that we were finally going to be able to move forward. In fact, we made it to one week before moving day, had an apartment in Texas and our house was being packed up.

And cancer happened again.

We have spent the last 2-3 months in emotional turmoil questioning God and what He has been trying to do in our lives. Praying that He would reveal His plan to us. Praying for open doors; praying for closed doors. Crying tears of frustration. I don't really know how to explain all that's happened this summer because, frankly, you just don't have the time to hear it all. But we do have a new plan, and it is not Plan B.

First, we will not be moving to Texas. It certainly pains my heart to type that sentence; we're more than a little sad to not be partnering with Randall and Collette. But the sadness that comes with not realizing our dreams to start a church in Texas is accompanied by the excitement we have with our new opportunity.

Brian has accepted the position as co-church planter with Chad Kivette in Clarksville, Tennessee. Like I mentioned, there's no way to possibly get into all the details of how we have come to this point or the intertwined relationships that made this happen, so you'll just have to trust me when I say that God has certainly been working for the last 2 years all around us in order to orchestrate this new adventure. It has been nothing short of miraculous to see it all fall into place. We are very excited at this new opportunity.

Basically, Brian has the same ministry opportunity as in Texas; BUT he's keeping his same teaching job and insurance, I can keep my same doctors, the kids are even able to stay in the same Christian school. [By the way, I've had several people mention they thought Brian was unemployed. He is not! He has tenure in the state of Tennessee and his school wanted to keep him enough that they were willing to wait around while we tried to determine what things would look like for this this fall so he's always had his current 4th grade teaching position to fall back on. Because of the poor condition of Tennessee education (and their salary plan), he's always needed a second job. Lucky for us, his first degree is in ministry and is what he is called to do.]

I can't even describe to you the sense of relief and joy we feel at finally having a plan, confident in God's hand in our lives, being able to move forward. 

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11


Comments

Joy said…
Melissa, I love that you called this "not Plan B"! Just because another door opens from the original plan doesn't mean it's second best! I'm so thrilled for you and very excited you will be staying in TN! : ) Won't you still be in touch with Randall and Collette? So thrilled that you finally have answers - not knowing what's going to happen day to day is stressful. Hope the kids have had a great week at school - enjoy your weekend!
Brenda Shearon said…
Awesome news, so glad God has shown his plan to your family. You also get to stay close to your sweet niece!
Renee T. said…
Melissa- I'm so happy your family has found peace and are able to move forward with your exciting new opportunity!
Amy said…
Oh, Melissa!! I'm so excited for your family and this opportunity! Can't wait to see all the good things God has planned for your new ministry!
Anonymous said…
Joy has said it so well! How wonderful! I'm so proud to read today's post and that now you have peace about God's plan for you!Sometimes He just doesn't show up early, but He's never late! (Not my words.) Love you all. Gma E.
Joan B said…
Thanks for taking the time to fill in the blanks for your readers! I was one of the very confused! LOL Hugs!
Monica said…
I was telling Bobby tonight about your update and how things were working out for you to stay in TN, and he said "Wow. Talk about God opening doors!" and I agree. I love the new Plan A He's put into place for your family!
joelsgirl said…
Yay! I'm so excited for you guys!
Michelle said…
I've never commented even though I've been reading for a long time.

I am so happy for you all! I've prayed for you. I don't know why things happen, but I have a hint...
heidi said…
So happy to hear this for your family. May you be blessed in your new adventure. :)
Shelly said…
I'm so happy to read this update!! Love it when God's plans are revealed! Pray for our family... as we are still in a waiting process to where He wants us! SOOO happy for you guys and Plan B!!
Cynthia said…
"God Is in the details," not my words either, but so true in your life. I am thankful you are staying in the area as I believe having your family's support has to be a huge blessing for all of you. Knowing how teaching jobs are getting harder and harder to get, I am glad Brian's school valued him enough to wait on him. That says a lot about him and the school. Your family is precious. God has called you and you are answering. That is as good as it gets. I love your blog. Keep writing. CMP
Krista said…
So happy you and your family can have some stability - and you can keep your fab doctors!
That verse is quite lovely too.
Kellie Penn said…
tears!!! God is so good!!!!
Well, Plan C... or whatever we are calling it... sounds AMAZING!!! Wow!!! Congrats!!!
Randi Oh said…
Wonderful news! So happy for you all!
listgirl said…
So excited for you that you have a plan now. God works wonders no wonder where we are and what our original plans were. Yay!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel