Tuesday's Tidbits

Thank you for all the good wishes the last couple of days. Both kids had great first days of school, and I'm not surprised at that at all. I wish I would have had my camera with me yesterday at car rider line because they walked out hand-in-hand with big smiles on their faces. I noticed quite a few smiles from cars around me as well. ;)

This morning was a big deal because it was my first morning on my own since Brian was out of the house before the crack of dawn. Thankfully, I woke up feeling good and strong. I have not had an easy time of it this chemo round, and I have been quite worried about the whole school routine but this morning was just fine. It's easy to take for granted little things like the energy to get your two children out the door in time for school until that task isn't quite so simple.

As much as I love the Olympics, it's probably a good thing they're over because (a) I need my nights back, (2) they make me feel come a complete under achiever, (3) I snack a whole lot during late night Olympic viewing, and (4) Brian is not nearly as big of a fan as I am, and he's ready to have the TV back.

Speaking of the Olympics, I feel as if I've failed to pass on my life-long love of competition to my kids. Maybe it's because by the end I was avoiding watching any kind of Olympics with them because I no longer had the patience to answer the questions that bombarded me every. single. second.

The summer was long and full, but it's over now, which means I no longer have a semi-excuse to have ice cream every night.

I forget every single year how chaotic/stressful/insanely busy the opening day week month of school is for Brian. Feeling really bad about his stress level these days. As seems to happen ever year, he still doesn't even know what class he's teaching.

A few school-related tidbits:
  • Apparently when you reach third grade, your classroom is upgraded to desks with lids that raise. Camden is quite excited about this and told his P.E. teacher Friday that he could sit and raise and lower his desk all day long.
  • Rory takes after her daddy and is horrible with names so I was not surprised that she couldn't remember her fellow kindergartner's names or the name of the teacher's aide. I *was* a little surprised when she told me that she sat next to a boy whose name was the same as Harry Potter's school. Hmmm. Fairly sure she does not have a student named Hogwarts in her class.
  • And kindergarten wouldn't be complete without my little follower already picking up on a new term. Of course, in typical fashion, she couldn't remember it exactly so she just made up her own version of "dang it." Sigh.
And one final story from the morning. Since we've moved, I get my weekly bloodwork done at a tiny little hospital. Seriously, there are stores bigger than this hospital so I see the same lab people every week. They know me (and Rory) by name, which is nice. I saw a new phlebotomist  today and I knew it was going to be a *special* day when she led off with, "Well, you should have known you'd get cancer since your sister already had it. Why would you be surprised?" and followed up with how "ovarian cancer's the easiest to get rid of." She then proceeded to tell me I needed to do something with my hair because it's too thick. I'll get right on that. ;)

I'm off to drink that cup of coffee I did not have time for first thing this morning. Happy Tuesday.

Comments

Renee T. said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicky said…
Oh the things people are bold enough to say... seriously. Prayers for Brian and the new school year stress... and for you to be able to manage with the kids and cope with SE of chemo.
Renee T. said…
That phlebotomist sounds very ignorant and insensitive :(

So happy you are feeling well today :)
Monica said…
:) Now I'm very curious what types of questions the kids ask you during an Olympics event. As for that phlebotomist...too many things come to mind for me to type. So I'll just leave it in the words as the "most famous Alabamaian" Forrest Gump:(according to my dear husband who is NOT from AL) Stupid is as stupid does.
Amy said…
You are kidding me? How rude and insensitive! I'm so sorry you had to even try to respond to those kind of comments.

So glad the kids came home smiling yesterday...hopefully that will continue.

Poor Brian! I cannot even imagine the stress of not knowing what he'll be teaching. That is really ridiculous. How can he be expected to be prepared for next week? Praying he finds out soon and that the start of school goes as smoothly as possible!
Anonymous said…
holy cow!! Remember in the movie Aladdin, when Genie's jaw drops to the floor after he is tricked into getting everyone out of the cave?--well, that is pretty much what happened to my jaw when I read the comments that phlebotomist made! Unbelievable!

{{{hugs}}} to all of you as you adjust to the morning school routine!

and, your hair is just gorgeous, btw.


Sharon
Anonymous said…
Wow. I am speechless after reading your last comment. I cannot believe some of those lab people -- I've had my fair share, but nothing like what you went through today. She sounds terribly insensitive.

Melissa L.
Karen said…
I can't believe that phlebotomist! I am seething just reading that! To say she needs sensitivity tainng s about the kindest thing I can say. Glad you woke up feeling good today. I love those days!
joelsgirl said…
I nearly choked when you said she thought her friend's name was Hogwarts, lol. I read your blog via blog reader, so I don't comment every day, but I do read it, love it, laugh and pray. Just wanted to tell ya.
O M G .... kick that girl in the shins or knock her upside the head! Seriously should even mention something to the nurses station or whoever you can, soooo not "bedside manner" appropriate!
Vicki Bridges said…
So glad you have your strength today, it's a biggie!
OK, aside from the ignorance you had at your blood draw... the tidbits are fabulous. But tell me, how did you get through without coffee first thing?!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel