Two Years Ago . . . finally home

Okay, my last sentimental post I promise. Until next year anyway.

As much as we loved, loved, loved Korea, there is just nothing better at the end of such a monumental journey than walking down that airport hallway to see your family and friends waiting for you. (I remember this as my favorite part of Camden's day as well.) I know that many adoptive parents will understand what I mean when I say this, but as I look back on these pictures I am just heartbroken for Rory. Because we had been her parents for all of 36 hours, there was no way to fully know just how sad she was. It's only as her parent 2 years later that I can look at these pictures and see the shell shocked look in her eyes, and I weep for her many losses.


Somehow our second year as a family went by even faster than the first and I am resolved yet again to not take a single second for granted. Missing the first 17 months of her life is something I had no control over, but I can try to make up for it by giving her my all for the rest of her childhood.


Meeting big brother for the first time

Kisses from Camden (I've looked at these pictures many times, but somehow this one escaped me. I love it!)

She was so exhausted.

The best hug ever from my mom.

So sleepy.

So done with the traveling experience!

I had a big plan to take cute pictures and have them ready for today, but dreary COLD weather and a busy schedule did not make for a good picture day.

Comments

Elizabeth Frick said…
I *totally* get what you mean. I just want to cry (from sympathy) when I look at pictures of O from those first few days. I just can't even imagine.
It's been really interesting for me to relive your experience in bringing Rory home, b/c our new little one will be close to her age when we get her. If not older. And I know it's going to be tough, but I have a feeling it'll be even harder than I imagine...
Amanda said…
Love this, Melissa! It feels like yesterday that I was reading this all happen on your blog.
Dina said…
Hi Melissa!
I try to follow your blog and I wanted to say congrats on your 2 yr anniv and thanks for sharing! It was one year ago today that we received our travel call so we also wll be celebrating in a few days. So amazing how the kids accelerate life. Seems just like yesterday we were in Korea right? Watching videos really helped to make it through that waiting period and your was one of them. Awesome!!! Enjoy your memories!!
Mayme said…
Look how much Rory has grown in 2 years. She looks so small in the pictures and now she is such a "big girl". It's hard to believe that it's been 2 years!
Joanna B said…
That is such a beautiful experience! I can't wait to experience it for myself! Is that your little Rory pictured in this month's Adoptive Families magazine? So cute!
Tracy said…
I so relate... Asher was just shy of 15 months and I remember the total numbness in his face, where the emotions were either not there or on autopilot.

Our children go through so much... thank you for sharing your memories and your love for your children.
Oh wow. Just wow. What an emotional series of photos.
heidi said…
Happy two years home Miss Rory!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5