Just Another Friday Night

Have I ever mentioned that I was perfectly, completely healthy before this cancer junk? Cause I was. And, honestly, most of the time I tend to ignore the fact that I have cancer and that it's serious. I mean, there's all these scars on my body and no hair, plus being sick. But really I do not dwell at all on the seriousness of cancer. So yesterday as I went about my day (which mostly consisted of laying on the couch trying desperately to keep my eyes open),  I noticed my shoulder port was more sore than normal. Didn't give it too much thought. When I actually got around to looking at it late afternoon, it was swollen and very hard. I called my resident cancer expert, a.k.a. Becky, and she immediately said I needed to call the doctor. I pretty much put this off as often as possible, by the way. :) So I called, and they said I needed to get to the emergency room because it could be indicative of a blood clot. Obviously, kinda serious. I still didn't panic, made a couple of phone calls, while Becky texted me repeatedly and said "go to the ER!" We were actually planning to wait a couple of hours, but she convinced me to get moving.

Managed to arrange quick childcare for the kiddos (thank you, Mrs. Marion, Gram and Gramps!) and went to Nashville. The check-in nurse stuck us out in the hallway away from the waiting room and made me wear a really great blue mask to help protect me from germs which matched my glasses, comfy clothes, and no make-up look really well. My sister Liz came and sat with me and Brian, and we had a pretty lovely time considering the situation. Have I mentioned recently how much I love my family? My blood pressure was 157 over 120 and I had a crazy heart rate, but the x-rays came back fine, and they sent me home with orders to call them with any changes and no strenuous activity. No problem there since I barely have enough energy to drag myself to the bathroom much less hit the treadmill or do yardwork.

So that was my Friday evening. Not quite like date night, but I did get to spend it with Brian and Liz, who is not just my sister but my friend.

Oh, and the good news for today is that my parent's are on their way. There's nothing better than having your parents around to take care of you. And I didn't know how much I needed to see them until they called yesterday offering to visit (and this was before the ER trip). One little heart breaking thing, though. When I told Camden Grandma and Grandpa were coming (via phone while I was in the ER), he immediately said, "Why? What's wrong with you?" Oh, how I wish that he didn't have to think about things like that. I've decided we're going to learn this verse together tonight. "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

062511

Comments

That is some serious excitement. I love that you always manage to look at the bright side. I'm so glad it wasn't anything serious. I will be praying for Camden.
On that note, do you all have any of the SEEDS Family Worship CDs? They set Bible verses to music (and it isn't annoying). It has helped both me and the boys learn some great ones. Phillipians 4:6-7 (do not be anxious), Isaiah 41:10 (do not fear for I am with you). Good stuff there.
KrisJ said…
Dang I am so glad you are ok! I love your attitude, you are so amazing!
Becky said…
I am so thankful that everything seemed okay too and that you listened to me and got there sooner! :)

and I LOVE that pic of Brian and the kids.
joelsgirl said…
I am so glad Becky is there to tell you what to do. : ) I'm glad you are okay, and I love the photo.
another fabulous photo!!!! Everytime I read a blog post I am amazed at your positivity (I'm sure there are moments of weakness) but you are soo strong!
Oh, Camden... I just want to hug you. (And you too, Melissa!) I'm soooo glad it wasn't anything serious. But whoa, what a way to end a Friday.

And seriously, you AMAZE me with your attitude. AMAZE. ME.
Elizabeth Frick said…
I'm sorry I'm just now getting around to reading this! And I just saw Brian's status that you're not feeling well. Sending all the positive energy and love I can to you!
Grace said…
prayers and hugs to your camden...and prayers and hugs to you, too...i so admire your attitude and spirit. you are amazing!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel