Wanna Celebrate?

I feel like this post is going to be all over the place since I have alot of little things to report so consider yourself warned.

Up first - wanna celebrate my one year cancer anniversary with ice cream for breakfast? :) One week from today, March 30, marks one year since my big surgery and cancer diagnosis. I've been trying to think of a way to celebrate the day. It would be kinda easy to wallow in it, but really I just feel happy to be here, happy to be feeling so good, happy to be well for now. I came across the idea of eating ice cream for breakfast from another cancer patient. He, unfortunately, didn't make it to his one year anniversary, but his family resolved to participate as a way to celebrate. And since ice cream is not only my favorite food group but also one that I was able to eat all throughout chemo, I thought it was appropriate. So join me Friday, March 30 in celebrating life, celebrating that God is good, celebrating that we can eat ice cream for breakfast. Fix yourself up a big ole sundae and send me pictures.

Today is Camden's 8th family day - he joined our family as a chubby little 8-month old, and today he is a big 8 year old. All the things I said last year are still true, but I have one little addition to his personality. He is a rule follower. Like a rule follower to a T. For instance, today is Read Across America (or something similar) and his class is dressing up like book characters. He chose a baseball book from the 50's which means rolled up jeans, jersey, and a hat. Last night he is panicking because they can't wear jeans to school, can't wear hats, etc. Brian calmed him down, assured him it was okay. First words out of his mouth this morning are that jeans aren't allowed. As you can see, I managed to convince him that he would not be in trouble.

DSC_6093

DSC_6085

Tomorrow I am speaking to a group of women during a one-day conference. I don't think I'm one of those people that will fall apart in front of a crowd, paralyzed with fear but I don't really know since this is my first experience. I would definitely appreciate prayers!

So Rory and I made a little trip to my primary care doctor yesterday (we skipped over Dr. W this time) and I have another MRSA infection - that's what my little scar tissue problem has been all along. I'm on a new antibiotic and have some sort of healing cream, and I am hopeful it will put this problem to rest for good. Don't get me started on why Dr. W never felt the need to culture this thing in the last few months. Just happy to hopefully have it resolved soon.

Rory has been in school for 4 days, but this is the first one I've come home to an empty house. Day 1 Camden and Brian were on spring break, plus Camden had a friend over to play. Days 2 and 3 we were in Texas. But today I came home to an empty house and could hardly contain myself. I seriously thought about heading to the nearest theater to see The Hunger Games, but decided I wanted to wait for date night with Brian. I partied hard with a walk with a friend and a bowl of steel cut oatmeal. ;) I did decide to forego my regular Friday house cleaning so I could take it easy and enjoy the quiet. I almost shouted "Freedom" Braveheart style when I left the school. Isn't that awful?

I am going to spend the day returning calls and emails from the last week. If you're one of those people waiting, I didn't forget - just have been busy.

And, finally, my new red glasses. Do you know how hard it is to take a self-portrait? (and not feel like a complete idiot?) And because I was using my wide-angle lens, I couldn't look directly at the camera or my nose looked like it was coming out of the screen in 3-d fashion so you just get a profile of the glasses.

DSC_5954

Have a fabulous weekend!

Comments

Danyelle said…
Can't wait to celebrate with you on March 30....big sundaes coming our way!
The Urbans said…
Next Friday, Ice Cream for breakfast!! Can't wait!!
Sarah Taylor said…
Love the red glasses!!! I wear red ones too! On Friday my youngest does a half day at school, and my hubs has the day off, so whoever takes all 3 kids to school gets bagels on the way back and we have breakfast in bed. I love friday morning. I'm putting ice cream on my calendar for next Friday tho!!! LOVE IT! Praying for your talk tomorrow.
Unknown said…
Not sure if anyone has ever suggested it, however, after you complete your antibiotics, try a chlorahexadine 4% body wash (can buy it OTC at pharmacies). I am an RN and have had a MRSA infection as well, some ID physicians are now recommending this wash after antibiotic treatment in case you have colonized MRSA on your skin. I would use it once or twice only, not on a daily basis. I know you didn't ask for advice, but I would hate for you to keep getting recurrent infections when this could help put a stop to it. Good luck.
Mayme said…
It's hard to believe it's been 8 years since the little man came home!

Love the glasses. Hope you guys have a great weekend.
Renee T. said…
I love the glasses....very fashionable, without being over the top....they are just simply perfect :)
And I love the stuff about Camden....really cute pic in the baseball outfit for school. I can't believe he is about to turn 9 soon....
I'll be thinking of you on Friday the 30th...just might surprise my little ones with an ice cream treat for breakfast that day...they will love it....so much more fun than boring old cereal or nutrigrain cereal bars....
Krista said…
Those glasses are so chic! And I will be celebrating with you next Friday! Dairy Queen here I come. Happy family day to Camden!
Joyce said…
Your dad says we definitely need to join you in celebrating--with ice cream here in IL!!
Joy said…
I will be having breakfast with Mickey next Friday, but we will all celebrate with you!! : )

Love the glasses - you are stylin'!

Have an awesome week!
Anonymous said…
I think you look fabulous in your glasses! Brooke
I'm definitely eating ice cream for breakfast on Friday! WOOT!

I love that you wanted to scream "FREEDOM!" as you left the school! Clearly, it was time for school to become a part of Rory's life, huh?!

And the glasses look so FANTASTIC on you!!!
KrisJ said…
That is a gorgeous photo. And seriously self portraits are the worst thing ever unless your a teen age girl with a mirror a cell phone and well teen girl boobs to show off! haha
I cant WAIT to celebrate.. even though my tummy doesnt handle ice cream well I think its worth it tonight!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel