Scarves, Little Hair, and More Hair

As anyone who frequently flies knows, you have to show your photo id multiple times. And if you're renting a car, booking a hotel room, etc. you have to pull it out even more often.

We flew to McKinney, Texas, back in October. I was still bald and in scarves. My driver's license shows me 4-5 years ago with very long, very thick, very dark hair. And a whole lot younger looking, by the way. As you can imagine back in October, I got alot of pitying looks; some people just avoided eye contact all together. 

When I flew to Oklahoma in January, I had hair, but it was still pretty obvious that maybe that short haircut wasn't quite on purpose. I got alot of double takes as the id checkers tried to  make sure the person standing in front of them was actually the person in the picture.

And now this time, it's been just as uncomfortable. Every single checker has made a comment about the drastic change in my hair. I just smile and acknowledge their comments about how much easier/cooler/less work it must be. And then the poor guy at the rental car company just wouldn't let it go. He mentioned it multiple times and then finally just came out and asked me why I would make such a drastic choice (this does nothing for my self-confidence, by the way). So I told him that I actually hadn't cut it, but that I had cancer and it was growing back and this was actually long for me these days. Awkward.

He felt really bad. I felt bad. It's all such a reminder that I can't get away from cancer. And with my April 3 appointment looming, I'm kind of having trouble staying calm about it all. As we meet with a realtor today in McKinney, I can't help wondering if we're just fooling ourselves to think that we can move on. Are we just cutting ourselves off from family and friends if my cancer does not remain stable? That whole only-20%-make-it-to-5-years statistic keeps reverberating in my head, and I have to remind myself over and over that God has a plan. That I'll be okay no matter what that plan includes. Some days it's harder than others to choose to believe, to be thankful, to have joy.

And for those of you who asked about my talk coming up in 2 weeks (for which I am NOT prepared), my outline is: Choose to Believe, Choose to be Thankful, Choose Joy. I'm thinking that the timing of preparing for this talk is not coincidental.
 
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Comments

Jenny Sue said…
The effects of cancer never leave but there is no reason to fear cause God's got that! I still fight that mental battle myself when I look in the mirror and see a years worth of growth. Just rest in Him and trust His plan.He has plans to prosper you no matter where you are, Texas, Nashville and even Heaven!
You're always in my prayers, Melissa! So sorry about that awkward encounter with the rental guy. :(
You truly are an inspiration and your joyful attitude is contagious! There truly is so much to be thankful for.
The super sad thing is that people just don't get it until something like that has affected them! I used to ask couples all the time when they were going to have a baby and it wasn't until we realized that we weren't going the "conventional" way that I realized myself how hurtful that comment could be to people. It doesn't make it easier to hear from others, but honestly don't be afraid to tell people that things aren't as they seem and that maybe they should think before they talk sometimes and realize the things they are asking could be hurtful!! So sorry!!
Vicky said…
I saw this pop up in my google reader and read it finally today. I had a guy keep trying to buy me a drink at the hotel (me and a bunch of my friends who all had their own drinks). No matter how politely I tried to tell him no, he pushed the issue. He just would not take no for an answer... I so felt the urge to pull out a handful of hair for him or show him my port or something... but we finally just got up as a group and left...

Going for a short new do myself tonight till I can't hide it anymore :)

Keep walking forward in faith- you will know when you are on the path you are meant to be on :) I'm praying for you all!
Lisa S. said…
you have nothing to worry about! you look beautiful!! i LOVE your hair...and you wear it well it looks so pretty on you :)
Oh Melissa. You are so strong and amazing... and your faith has been nothing less that inspirational to me. I'm so sorry the encounters during travel made you question any of that. You are beautiful no matter what's on (or isn't on) your head!
Sarah Taylor said…
I totally understand where you're coming from. I just finished my last chemo, and it was a bear! (bad allergic reaction) Everyone is so excited that I'm "done" but I'm really not. I still have 8 weeks of radiation...and my recurrance statistic is in my mind too...How do you make those statistics go away?
thehsmomof3 said…
Cancer isn't my personal battle, but I do have a physical battle that elicits numerous curious stares and questions from innocent children, to wrong but unaware adults, and all kinds of tenacious insensitive questions from total strangers. It is my prayer that you'll have a shoulder to cry on she it's extra hard, that you'll be able to truly laugh at the utterly absurd, and breathe deeply of the innocence of those who have not yet walked broken paths. May your trust in Jesus be renewed and refreshed every day.
- Sherri
thehsmomof3 said…
Cancer isn't my personal battle, but I do have a physical battle that elicits numerous curious stares and questions from innocent children, to caring but unaware adults, and all kinds of tenacious insensitive questions from total strangers. It is my prayer that you'll have a shoulder to cry on when it's extra hard, that you'll be able to truly laugh at the utterly absurd, and breathe deeply of the innocence of those who have not yet walked broken paths. May your trust in Jesus be renewed and refreshed every day.
- Sherri

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel