Thankful

As I've laid in bed every night this week (unable to sleep), my mind is racing with two different thoughts. (1) how different this time of year is than last year and (2) how much I have to be thankful for. This Christmas season was much less stressful than previous years, but even still I somehow managed to make it through without taking time to really reflect on how many blessings I have in my life.

Last year we were a family of 3. Last year Becky had just finished up her cancer treatments, but was still feeling the effects of that 8 month ordeal. Brian was just beginning his teaching career and only had a one-semester contract. The list could go on and on. We were certainly blessed last year, but when I think of all this year has held for us, I am in awe of God's provision and especially His blessings on our family. He has been so good to us, and so many times we don't remember to thank Him for the big things much less the small, day-to-day things. I am grateful this year for a husband who works hard to provide for us; who is loving and patient; is a great dad (and good in the kitchen!). I am grateful for Camden who almost 5 years ago made me a mother and who is growing up to be a wonderful boy. I am grateful for the little girl who has so captured my heart and who has made me into a better mother. I am grateful for my extended family, who are healthy and whole and who love the Lord. I am grateful for friends, new and old (including my sisters), who make my life better. I am grateful to be able to stay at home with Camden and Rory, something I never thought would be possible. And most of all I'm thankful for my God, who is the same and who is good when it's good and when it's hard.

I don't know why we think we have to wait until a holiday to spend time reflecting on our lives, but for some reason we do. So if you haven't yet this holiday season, make sure to take a few minutes before the new year.

Comments

Joy said…
Well said - Amen.

Happy (almost) 2009 - hoping you have many more blessings to come.

Joy
Amanda said…
Beautifull said Melissa. Thanks for making me stop for a minute and see how truly blessed I am! Hope you have a wonderful New Year!
M :-) said…
What a beautiful post.

Happy New Year!
Anonymous said…
AMEN!! We take so much for granted. Have a wonderfully blessed new year.

We love you all!

Brenda

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5