A Thousand Gifts

We spent several days last week in a cabin in Georgia meeting with Randall (and his family), our team member in the Texas adventure. We also had the privilege of meeting two families who will be moving with us to Texas. It was a lovely time of getting to know each other, laughing, and looking to the future.

Hello, Team Texas!
010311

We didn't arrive home from Georgia until Friday night so New Year's Eve included a very early bedtime (7:00 for the kids and 7:20 for Brian). I would like to say that I was in bed early as well, but I was wide awake for whatever reason. I finally dragged myself to bed about 11:30 only to wake up at midnight when our neighbors decided to use up their July 4th stash right outside our bedroom. :)

Saturday was spent taking down the tree, packing all our Christmas decorations and realizing that the next time we pulled them out, we'd be in Texas!


When I saw A Thousand Gifts posted on Becky's blog several weeks ago, I knew immediately it was something I was going to start in the new year. The theme for our family for 2011 is Transition, and I know myself well enough to realize that even though many good things are going to happen for us this year, moving to Texas means alot of change, alot of time in transition for our family. And I am most definitely at my worst during change and transition. A Thousand Gifts is exactly what I need to help keep my mind focused on the things, big and small, that the Lord is doing in my life rather than focusing on how difficult the change might be. 

1. new friends
2. old friends
3. safe trip to and from Georgia
4. all the snow in Georgia which made a cabin in the mountains seem even more fun
5. for the sweet service we had yesterday and a generous gift from our church
6. for the privilege of having Rory fall asleep in my arms last night
7. for an early morning, which signifies getting back on schedule
8. for this verse in Romans I read this morning. (Romans 14:1 from The Message) "Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don't see things the way you do. And don't jump all over them every time they do or say something you don't agree with - even when it seems that they are strong on opinions, but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently."
9. for having Brian off work for one last day
10. for starting off the week with a clean house
11. for the three baptisms at church yesterday morning



Comments

Joy said…
This is going to be such an exciting year for you guys! We have seriously got to sneak a "shopping trip/photography session" in before you move. : ) Moving is stressful, but it's a lot of fun too. So many adventures waiting for you!
Elizabeth Frick said…
What a beautiful list! And how wonderful that you got time to connect with other families taking this big journey with you!
Amy said…
Such a great picture...with so many faces I love in it!! We are praying for all of you during this year of transition and can't wait to see all God has in store for Team Texas!!
Becky said…
love that verse from Romans, such a poignant translation! Love that you are starting this list too. Love you even more!
Angie said…
I am also doing the 1000 Gifts list. It's a great idea and helps keep my focus on what is important! I found her blog back in November and we used her devotions for our Jesse tree.

Praying for you guys this year as you make this transition! Looking forward to hearing all about it and how God will use you guys and the rest of the team in Texas!
This is going to be an amazing year for you! (Stress aside) The past week sounds amazing... and I love this list idea. Fabulous! Go Team Texas!
Brenda Lewis said…
What a great list! I thought of you while putting our Christmas stuff away and thought the very same thing of you using yours in Texas next year. Made me excited for you and a little sad for us.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel