Peace and Quiet

My oncologist has a regular chemo room (seats 8-10) and then an overflow room, which only seats 3. They like to schedule and keep everyone in the regular room because it's alot of work for one nurse to keep everything going and maintained.

But a couple of weeks ago, one of the nurses asked if I'd like to go to the overflow room because the regular room was crowded (and she later told me that there were some obnoxious patients in there as well). I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed spending my chemo time in a quiet room.

I didn't have to tell my story over and over or listen to other stories. Let's be honest, after 18 months of this, I've pretty much heard all the war stories. I didn't have to see the very, very sick ladies and worry that it will be me. I didn't have to worry that some sweet newbie would ask my story and then be terrified if I told her the truth. I didn't have to hear the older, cranky women complain the. entire. time.

Basically, steroids and chemo that makes me sick aside, it was a relaxing 2 hours. Dr. W even stopped in to ask if I liked my new digs. ;) Since that first time, I've gone to the overflow room every time. Even when the regular room isn't busy. I've been there long enough that the nurses are friends, and they're happy to accommodate me. In fact, they come sit down and chat just like they used to in the regular room.

I've told them that if there's someone they think I can encourage, then I'll move back. But for now, I'm hanging out all alone. It is amazing how a little peace and quiet reduces the stress and anxiety chemo brings.

In other news, it was Rory's first soccer game last night. Actually a make-up game from the rained out Saturday game. Our coach didn't arrive until the game was half over if that gives you any indication on how it actually went. But the kids didn't know anything was wrong and had fun.

DSC_5250

Clearly, we were dealing with some sunset issues here, and I'm not messing with them.
DSC_5248

In between wiping her nose, coughing, waving to her fans, she got busy playing.
DSC_5229

DSC_5191

And then wiped her nose some more.
DSC_5186

I'm spending my Friday with Addison. Here are her toys.
DSC_5361

Aaannnddd here's Addison chewing on the sofa instead of toys.
DSC_5367

Comments

Kelle said…
Hey Melissa! I'm glad you were able to get some quiet time, but are still ready and available to encourage others. Random question . . . is that Ann Saylor? If it is, it's such a small world!
Vicky said…
Okay- your sunset issues are my golden goodness- oh how I love that hue of light! I never realized how lucky I was to always have a private room for chemo- they even shut the door and dim the lights so I can sleep if I'd like. There is one room that has curtains in between but otherwise we are all separated. And I never have the same nurse- they all rotate- but they are also too busy to stay and chat with us for too long and I never see the doctors come back at all... trade offs I suppose... that last shot totally cracked me up :)
Monica said…
So thankful you get "time out" in chemo! And I loved all your pictures today. I think my favorites the 2nd and the last two. Thanks for sharing!
What sweet chemo nurses you have. And how nice of you to offer to return to the other room if there is someone you can encourage. But until then, enjoy the silence!!
Oh, what a difference the peace and quiet must make! I know that when I need to "be on" for meetings and such I am so much more exhausted... I can only imagine how hard it must be to "be on" in your situation! And the photos are fabulous... and funny!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel