Tuesday's Tidbits, a day late

I have had the worst time staying awake the past few days. I pull out a magazine/book/internet and before I've read a sentence, my head is nodding. I turn on the TV and doze off completely. I have slept through numerous podcasts and too many HGTV shows to count. If I've spoken with you and don't remember the conversation, don't hold it against me.

I've been on a new floor this hospital stay, and I have to say that it's the best floor so far. Apparently, the GI surgical floor gets all the great nurses and techs. Oh, and hardwood floors, which is somehow so much more appealing than tile floors.

I did have my first male nurse yesterday, and it wasn't the best experience. He spent all day telling me about his own ailments, and I wanted to ask him if he really wanted to get into a comparison because I'm pretty sure I'd win. He also couldn't manage to remember to bring my meds, probably because he was so busy talking about himself. Last night's nurse was my second male nurse, and he happened to be related to a family friend. Today we have our very favorite nurse back. It's amazing what a difference a good nurse can make.

Thanks to my friend Tina for coming and sitting with me for 4+ hours last night. She even endured watching the DWTS results show.

Made big-time strides this morning by being completely unhooked from all IV's, took a regular shower, and eating a piece of toast. It's the little things that make me happy these days.

Speaking of toast, HOW is is possible to not eat food for 6 whole days and still gain 2 lbs? Cannot say that made me any kind of happy when they weighed me yesterday. Of course, my doctor assures me it's just water weight, but whatever.

We received pathology results from my surgery and the news wasn't positive. I still have active cancer and will be receiving a new chemo regimen in the near future. We're working through details of what is actually going to happen to our life regarding jobs, what state to live in, etc. Not gonna lie. It's tough news to handle and many hard decisions have to be made quickly.

Despite the crazy hospital stays, surgeries, procedures, new cancer, etc., we're still moving out of our house Tuesday. My parents have been amazing and have basically packed up our entire house. If you're one of the friends who have stopped by to help, I cannot thank you enough.

And because I can't hear it enough, Brian's verse for the year is once again so appropriate for us in this moment. "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9.

Comments

Brenda Shearon said…
your family still amazes me. Of course this is not what anybody wanted to hear regarding your cancer. Praying God will give your family the peace and knowledge in the decisions you will be making over the next few days. You will need to write a book/seminar on how to deal with stress. We know you are special and God does too!
Amy said…
I'm so sorry, Melissa. I so wish I lived closer so I could help out. Please know that I am praying for you and Brian. I know God will give you the peace and direction you need to make the next step.
Anonymous said…
I'm with Amy and wish I lived closer so that I could clean or something! I am so sorry to hear about this but continue to pray and what a great verse.
Hugs from Spain.
Vicky said…
My Jesus Calling devotion for today says "... you can make some plans as you gaze into the day... but hold them tentatively, anticipating I may have other ideas. Concentrate on the task before you and the ONE who never leaves your side. Trust ME to show you what to do when you are finished with what is before you now. I will guide you step by step, as you bend your will to mine. Thus you stay close to me on the path to peace."

I think you are living this example right now! I am praying the path to peace will be revealed to you a step at a time, at the time you need it the most.

Love and hugs to you!
Praying daily for you. I love what Vicky posted above from Jesus Calling. It reminds me of Proverbs 16:9 "In their hearts humans plan their course,but the Lord establishes their steps." He knows your path and will be with you every step of the way.
Renee T. said…
Oh Melissa- so happy to hear an update, but so sad to hear the diagnosis. You and your family deserve the best in life, and I hope that you can find peace and clarity as you make those difficult decisions regarding your future move, etc. Sending so many good thoughts your way :)
Monica said…
Hugs and prayers going out to you and your family today!
Katie Nelson said…
Melissa -

My heart aches for you with how much you are facing right now. Your parents are amazing to pack up your house and I'm praying for quick answers and new doors to open for you and your sweet family.
Brenna said…
Sending hugs and many prayers for you today, Melissa!
sandy atwood said…
Our hearts sank when we heard the news. We are praying for clarity and wisdom and direction(and healing, of course).
LadyDy said…
Praying for you and Brian (and Camden and Rory too!)

xo
Denise Young
Wow girl. Just wow. That is a LOT going on. I am so sorry that you got that discouraging news about your cancer.
And can I just say that your parents sound like rock stars?!?!?
Oh Melissa... I'm so, so sorry. I'm just so sad for you right now... I really hoped the news was different. I'm hoping you have peace as you decide how to move forward. Hugs, friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5