Just being happy

I asked my sister yesterday why can't we just be happy where we are. The first 3 days this week while I worked all I wanted to do was be home with the kids. Yesterday, when I was finally home with the kids, all I wanted to do was go back to work. I think the reason behind this is that we always want things to be easy. At least I do! And there's not an easy answer. It's not easy to work all day and then come home to kids and a husband and a house who all need you. And it's not easy to stay at home and never feel like you're accomplishing something because you're doing the same thing over and over while the kids are cranky, fight, and in general drive you a little bit nuts. Somehow you've just got to find a good balance and be content. Something I think I just might be working on until I'm 90.

I ran several errands with two very unwilling children yesterday: post office to mail packages, hardware store to get mouse traps (no success yet, by the way), library to drop off books, and grocery store. When we got home, I realized we had no toilet paper in the house and we headed back out. As you can imagine, Camden was thrilled about leaving again! (and after we got home, I found the toilet paper stash so we made the extra trip for nothing)

We went to Camden's school for orientation last night and met his teacher. She seems very sweet, and I was happy to see that we know 3 of the kids in his class. Everyone keeps asking me if Camden is excited, and I honestly don't know. He seems so oblivious. For instance, at the orientation last night, he didn't pay attention to the teacher or room or other families at all. Instead, he was caught up in whatever imaginary game going on in his head and was acting it out (complete with hand motions and noises). I hope his adjustment back into a structured world is not going to be too difficult. Rory, on the other hand, got quieter and quieter the longer we were there. When we went to the office to pick up his folders and glue and paperwork, I could tell she was about to lose it and was none-to-happy that he was getting the attention and supplies. As we walked out, she started walking slower and slower, and then just crumpled into tears and sobbed. She was literally heartbroken. It was kinda pitiful, and I know she doesn't understand why Camden was getting to choose things to take home. I've noticed her becoming more sensitive and emotional as the months go by.

We're headed to Nashville this morning for Camden's 6 year physical and maybe one other stop. I have a feeling this is going to be one more thing that Rory feels jealous over because she's been quite excited to see Dr. Heil. We'll see. Camen told me yesterday he's been missing Dr. Heil since we haven't seem him in a long time. He can say this, of course, because he knows there are no shots in his future.

The rest of the weekend will be spent filling out the pile of paperwork for school and labeling Camden's school supplies including EVERY. SINGLE. CRAYON. per the instructions of his teacher. If I manage to get that done, hopefully I'll have time to scrap since it's now been a week!

Comments

Joy said…
first of all - I loved your post. Very well said.

Do you think Rory realizes she's about to lose her playmate to school? Sumner is not going to be happy at all for Ellis to start school again. Just a thought. : )
Barbara said…
You seriously have to label every single crayon??!! Hilarious!
Krista said…
Crazy about every crayon needing to be labeled!
joelsgirl said…
Oh, Melissa, that story about ROry praying for you to stay home made my heart hurt for you! And I agree that even when we get hte things we want, it is still hard to be happy because they are never in reality the way they are in our minds. Like I love my life, but sometimes it EXHAUSTS me. Hope Camden loves school and Rory adjusts quickly to being home alone.
Anonymous said…
Hey Melissa...this is Brooke Turnbough and I would like to buy purple coco bon bons corduroy dress. Do I send you a check? We leave for Spain on the 18th. Could you mail it to Huntsville soon? Thanks..it's so cute!
Poor Rory!! I'm so excited for Camden though!! That's insane about the crayons...

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel