The Girl With No Schedule

I seriously cannot figure this child out! She seems to have no rhyme or reason to her day (or night for that matter) schedule! I guess it doesn't matter too much, but I'm very much a schedule/routine girl so I'd love for us to figure it out! She is currently asleep (at 8:30 a.m.!). She did sleep all night again, but was up at 5:30. Good thing we have nothing planned for today except for a quick trip to the grocery store. One of these days, maybe I'll actually remember everything I need and get back to one grocery store run a week.

I am a horrible mom - I forgot to mention that Rory was 18 months old yesterday, plus it's been exactly a month since we met her. I still can't believe that it's been an entire month since we were in that taxi in Seoul pulling up to the apartment building to see her little face and pigtails, along with Mrs. Park, waiting for us. In many ways, it feels like she's been with us forever, but it also seems that it cannot possibly have been an entire month! I've always heard other adoptive parents say that they miss Korea, and I never really understood it. I mean, how can you miss a city and country that you've spent so little time in, but I have to say that I am having those same feelings. I feel a connection to the country my children are part of. I am sad that Camden has no memories whatsoever of Korea, and I'm sad that Rory is already losing those small bits and pieces of Korea. She is no longer singing the sweet little Korean songs (although we still play them for her often). She is not saying Korean words any longer. I've had to wash the two blankets and two towels that Mrs. Park sent home with her so they no longer smell like SaRang when we first met her. I have been watching some You Tube videos on Korean pronunciation (we've discovered we were saying SaRang completely wrong!), and I want to try to teach Camden and Rory both at least some basic words. They'll have to be basic because I'm struggling to learn them myself! Brian and I are both determined that we will take them back to Korea in a couple of years, which means we need to start saving some serious money, but I think that we really have to do it for them.

Last night we made a quick trip to Brian's parents house to feed the goats while they're out of town, and on the way home, Camden looked over at Rory (who was actually tolerating him well for once) and said, "Isn't Rory cute. We just love her. She's kinda soft."

He also had this little gem for us while in the car.

Camden: Daddy, let me tell you something. (if we could only have money for every time we've heard this phrase)
Daddy: Okay
Camden: Camel cigarettes are the worser ones. They make you more sicker.
Daddy: Who taught you that?
Camden: Well, there are three Mexican restrunts (yes, he says it this way). The one on the road past my school with the fish. The one with the bubble gum machine. And the one with the Camel cigarettes.

Now, seriously, how does he know these things? He's certainly not getting it from us. Surely, he's not getting it from church. And I sure hope that the private Christian school he attends isn't teaching this. So where does he get it?

To all my college/work friends who are reading the blog, I have to tell you that after being with you all last week and all of the "hello's" and "bye-bye's" we had yesterday with Rory, she is now saying "bah-bah" instead of "bye". And here I thought I'd be able to shield her from a southern accent!

Comments

Helena said…
In the "Getting SaRang" video, where Brian says her name and she looks over your shoulder, it sounds like he's saying it right. Or pretty close, anyway. (It's kind of hard to hear!)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel