Tuesday

Rory woke up perky and feeling 100% yesterday, but Camden and I both have sore throats. I'm hoping it doesn't last long!

I've been reading Parenting With Love and Logic the last several days. The whole premise of the book is teaching your children that there are consequences for their actions by using empathy instead of frustration and anger with them, but by immediately doling out the consequences and no second chances. They talk about finding a key phrase such as "uh-oh, it's so sad that you chose to disobey. It seems as if you need some quiet time in your room." Or things like "feel free to keep all the toys you pick up" (and you quietly gather up the ones they don't and they can earn them back with chores). Well, I tried it yesterday and found that it is very difficult to change the habit of just getting onto them and nagging them! Rory did very quickly pick up on that key phrase and I heard her around the house singing to herself, "uh-oh, it's so sad." I'm going to keep working on it because I do think the concept is pretty sound.

Camden is LOVING baseball. It's a good thing because the practices and games (which haven't even started yet) are taking over our lives. Does it seem extreme to anyone else that a 5 year old has two 1.5 hour practices, one scrimmage game, and one real game all within six days time? Yep, that's our schedule this week.

Grocery shopping, trying to feel better, and a baseball scrimmage are on the schedule for today. I better get started on my grocery list!

Zoe Pearn: Wild

Comments

I've heard lots of good things about this book...
I need to go get it!!!
Amanda said…
I want to get Hannah and Tre' involved in the sports but I am not looking forward to how it will take over our life.
M said…
We are using L&L with B and we used it with A. I like the whole 'uhoh' technique instead of saying no a 1,000 times a day. Now that A is older we have changed to the Smart Discipline plan which is working SO good.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5