House Rules

I've had the idea in my head for quite a while of having a list of "house rules." Not rules like don't hit your sister, no backtalking, etc., but a more general list of principles with Bible verses to back them up that everything else would fall underneath. I want Camden and Rory to not just be able to follow a list of rules, but to understand why those words or actions aren't acceptable. I ran across this list several weeks ago, and I've been waiting to get started until I could come up with the perfect way of displaying them, teaching them, etc. (you'd think that part would be easy since we have an actual elementary teacher in the house). I've decided there's never going to be a perfect time so we're diving in this morning. I'm going to hang them on the refrigerator for now, but maybe someday I'll have them displayed in a more permanent way. Here are the "rules."

Obey - Eph. 6:1
"Children, obey your parents. . . "

Respect Others - Matthew 7:12
"Do to others as you would have them do to you. . . "

Tell the Truth - Prov. 12:22
"The Lord delights in those who are truthful."

Be Thankful - I Thess. 5:18
"In everything, give thanks. . ."

Work Hard - Phil. 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."


Lauren Grier/Shawna Clingerman: Keep You Forever

Credits here

Comments

Chris said…
what a great idea Melissa! I would love to do something like this. It's so important to start when they're little! :D
Paula said…
Love your rules Melissa! These are some of the same verses I have my elementary school kids write 10 times when they are in trouble.
Barbara said…
Great idea!
Amanda said…
Great idea about the rules!
Anonymous said…
What a wonderful teaching tool. I will copy and put on my refrigerator. I have young Grandchildren and I try to help in their development. You are such a devoted mother.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel