Reminder

I'm kind of a mess today. I woke up to the news that Jen Burgess Thompson went to heaven this morning. She is my age and was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last August. You can read her blog here.  I'd encourage you to take some time scrolling through it today. We have matching scars although let's be honest: her stomach is much flatter than mine. She says alot of stuff I couldn't say. We had the same treatment and her portrayal is brutal.

I am devastated at her passing. Although I've never met her, I think I probably feel about her the way some of you feel about me. I feel as if she became a friend via her blog posts, instagram and facebook feed. Her highs became my highs, her lows my lows.

It's been a hard morning. But it's made me think alot about all I have to be thankful for: I'm still here for my kids and family. My cancer hasn't grown in 18 months. That's some kind of miracle all in itself, even there are lot of days that it doesn't feel like a miracle. 

And it's a reminder to step back and take it easy. To love on my people a little more. To show them a little more kindness, a little more patience. Okay, alot more patience. To just keep taking one day at a time, putting one foot in front of the other.

Psalm 46
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
 
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
 
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.#

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
 
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
 
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
 
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
 
Come and see what the Lord has done,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
 
He makes wars cease
to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the shields# with fire.
 
He says, "Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
 
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
 

Comments

Joyce said…
I would certainly be hugging you right now if I were in TN and not IL! Love you.
Joan B said…
I'm sorry.
Julie said…
I am so sorry. . .I am praying for you even though we've never met. . .especially today I am praying.
I saw this news on my facebook feed via a photographer friend, and I've been thinking of you all day. I know this must be very sobering. Thinking of you and of her family today.
I have thought of you all day since seeing your facebook post. Praying that the Lord comforts you and calms you. And, remember, your story is YOUR story and not anyone else's.
Cynthia said…
Amen to what you have written and what you are living. You have a beautiful life embued with God's presence. You remind each of us to take it a little slower and realize all our blessings. You are a blessing to my life. Prayers for you and your family...
That is exactly how we feel about you! =) I can't wait to look over her blog and I am sorry to you and her family! (she is only about 3 hours away from where I live)....
Prayers to you and to her family!
Amy said…
I am so sorry, Melissa. Praying for her family and for you.
Karen said…
I've been thinking about you nonstop since I heard. It's such awful news. I know it's hard, but I hope you are doing all you can to remember all that is going well right now... which is a lot from what you share. I'm sending you extra prayers and hugs as you deal with this news. <3
X said…
Sorry. Hugs. Peace. Prayers.
Krista said…
The Internet can be such a wonderful thing. It has exposed us to so many new people and we get to peak into their lives and share their joys and sorrows. Thinking of you and Jen's family.
sandy atwood said…
So sorry to hear the news - as always, you are in our prayers.
sandy atwood said…
So sorry to hear the news - as always, you are in our prayers.
I've been thinking about her family (and yours) since I heard this. It hit me pretty hard, so I can only imagine...

Hugs friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel