Soccer tournament

I had no idea that a soccer tournament involving 4 year olds could be so intense and so fun! We're still in shock here, but Camden's team won 3 games today, and they're playing in the championship game tomorrow afternoon. They all played so well - I guess they saved their best for tournament time! Camden made a goal in the first game, and when the game was over, he came running to me, launched himself in my arms and was soooo excited! It was so sweet, and made the entire season worth it just for that moment. He was so proud of himself!

The tournament pretty much consumed our entire day. I did get up early and go walk with my friend, and then we pretty much collapsed when we got home this afternoon. Camden was exhausted and in bed by 7:00. Tomorrow will be another busy day! I took some really cute soccer pictures, but I haven't got them uploaded or edited yet, but hopefully I'll get to it this week.

We did have one thing happen today that while I've known was going to eventually happen, I'm not sure I was prepared for. Thankfully, we've not had this experience before now, but it reminded me that we need to be prepared and we need to prepare Camden. He was swinging at the playground in between games, and a group of 3 older kids came over. They were probably 8-10 years old. They were all 3 fighting for the swing next to Camden and as Camden's swing came down, one boy stepped in his way and Camden's foot accidentally hit him. It wasn't Camden's fault; the boy stepped in front of him. The boy looked at Camden, sneered, and said, "don't you hit me, little Chinese man." He clearly did not realize that I was with the "little Chinese man" and believe me, before he moved on (okay, ran away), he knew I was the mama, and he knew that I was not happy. I'm grateful that Camden was pretty oblivious to what was going on, but, unfortunately, he will not always be oblivious. And as long as there are ignorant people in the world, he will need to have a come-back when remarks like this are made to him. He will need to have the self-esteem and feeling of self-worth that will allow him to brush off racial remarks. I hope we're able to help him have that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That is a very difficult issue to deal with, especially with one so young. My stepbrother is black and I had NO idea how cruel people could be until I spent time with him. It really is infuriating!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5