3 Years at Home

If February 27 was one of the best days, then February 29 (yes, Leap Year) was one of the hardest. I'll never forget the moment outside the elevator door when Rory's foster mother picked her up. I remember Rory snuggling in for a hug with a smile on her face, not realizing that there were tears streaming down her foster mother's face as she tried to say goodbye, not realizing that this wasn't a normal hug.

Brian took this picture moments after we returned to our room at the agency guesthouse. You can't see the tears in my eyes from this picture, but they were there. There's no way to prepare for the pain a 17 month old feels and how she expresses that pain.
030111_1

And there is certainly no way to prepare for your 17 month old putting her coat on and going to stand by the door because she just wants to go back to her "normal."
030111_6

And then comes the journey home, which is just miserable (although I should probably mention Rory slept about 13 hours during the flight home - don't hate me).

But then there was this.
030111_3

And this.
030111_4

(and a bonus Camden picture just because I love it)
030111_5

Coming home is just the best. We loved our time in Korea, but there is nothing like walking through those airport doors, being greeted by those who love you, and knowing that you're back home ready to start your new life.

And if you want to watch the videos, here's part one and part two.

And three years later, we celebrate messy, silly, joyful Rory!
030111_2

Comments

Tia said…
my how far she's come. You have a terrific family and I thoroughly (SP) enjoy reading about your adventures.
KrisJ said…
Dang this post made me all misty.. so I will wait to watch the videos because I remember bawling the last time! What a gorgeous pic btw!!
Joy said…
Happy "Gotcha" Day to Rory! I've never seen the picture of Rory with her coat on standing by the door. How sweet and heartbreaking all at the same time. What a precious little girl she is and I hope she enjoys her special day!
Mayme said…
It's hard to believe it's been 3 years already. I don't even want to watch the video...too much for me to think about:) I love the pic of Camden, glad you shared it.
Anonymous said…
I loved seeing the videos and the sweet pictures again. love, mom
Russell said…
Bethany and I will always remember that night at the airport when you brought her home. She was cute then, and she's cute now.
I'm a big, teary mess now... I love these coming home posts... but they get me every. time. I clearly remember the video of you leaving SWS, and it makes me tear up just thinking about it. But, look at those photos at home... wow. Makes all that pain so . much . easier.
Elizabeth Frick said…
So beautifully written, Melissa. What a tough transition it is for these little toddlers. And what a gift Rory is!
LOVE the photo of Camden kissing you. Precious.
Angie said…
Can't believe it has been 3 years. I remember that night at the airport and the months leading up to it! The videos and pictures brought tears of joy once again when I think back to it all. Hope she has enjoyed celebrating her special day!
Krista said…
Happy Forever Family! I remember watching those videos - so beautiful and sad all at the same time. I'm sure walking into the airport to greet your family was an amazing feeling!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel