Camping

For the last 3 years, Brian and Camden have taken an annual camping trip for Camden's birthday. This year July is so crazy that they've gone a couple of weeks early and are unfortunately only spending one night instead of 2. They always have the best time and Camden really thrives on having that special time alone with Brian. They left yesterday morning and should get back this afternoon. A few things:
  • Rory, of course, was not excited about Brian and Camden leaving and cried off an on as they prepared. Before they left, Camden came up to me and told me in a whisper that Rory could call him if she missed him during the day and that she definitely could call him before bedtime.
  • When I talked to him tonight, the first thing he told me, "Guess what, mommy. Did you know that I'm playing with fire and had two hotdogs, two smores, and fritos for supper, and accidentally fell in the water and got my face all wet, and was very heated up because it was hot, and did I tell you that Daddy bought me new beach toys and a flashlight that isn't just for camping but for everything? And I'm having lots of fun." And I'm pretty sure he didn't take a breath the whole time.
  • Brian says he keeps saying "This is just the best campsite in the world. This is my favorite thing ever." Brian said that as Camden was having the time of his life, he was struggling not to cuss out the tent while trying to assemble it. Camden came up to him and said he wished that he was big enough to use an ax so that daddy could just sit down and enjoy himself. Seriously brought a little tear to my eye when Brian told me that.
  • Rory and I both discovered yesterday just how accustomed we've both become to having Camden around as her playmate.
  • I don't generally sleep well when Brian is gone and last night was no exception so I'm running on about 4.5 hours sleep and woke up when Rory started yelling for me at 6:10 this morning. She's been waking up at exactly 6:10 for the last several mornings although after checking on her, we generally tell her it's too early. Despite the fact that it's broad daylight at that point. ;)
  • At some point during the night, I dreamed that my family and some friends had come to my house for a visit and I'd forgotten to finish cleaning my house. I was clearly still worried about it this morning since I had to fight the compulsion to empty the trash at 6:10.
Dani Mogstad: Light Up the Night


Dani Mogstad: Don't Feed the Animals


Emily Merritt/Gina Miller: Pearly Whites


Comments

Elizabeth Frick said…
There is *SO* much cuteness in this post, I don't even know what's my favorite! (except the sleep, of course)
Every so often, you post something that makes me want to start gathering the paperwork again... this was one of those times.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel