Ice Cream Day #4

DSC_4328

Four years ago today (okay, actually, yesterday - I got the date wrong for the second year in a row) was pretty much the craziest day of my life. Not that I remember a whole lot of it, which is definitely to my advantage. Life turned upside when I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer. Four years ago I could not really have imagined what the future looked like. Four years later, I still can't really imagine what the future looks like.

What I do know is that it's been hard, but there's been a whole lot of good mixed in with the hard. I hear your mind/body know somehow when the anniversary of a traumatic event approaches, and I think maybe my mind/body has been dwelling in that place of knowing for the past several weeks. I'm looking forward to moving past today.

Before we move past the 4 year mark, however, we're going to celebrate being alive in the same way we have each year: ice cream. For breakfast, in particular. I really thought of skipping it altogether this year, especially when I realized the kids would be away from home. Becky and Brian convinced me it's important to celebrate milestones. And another year of life is nothing to ignore. 

So this Saturday morning (when the kids are back home where they belong), we'll wake them up with ice cream for breakfast. We'll remind them how far we've come; remind them of everything we have to be thankful for. And we'll plan on doing it again next year.

Hebrews 10:23 "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful."


Comments

Vicky said…
Happy, happy 4 years of being alive! It truly is something to celebrate and I love how you do that. That scripture is so good- thank you for sharing.
Ice cream it is! Yes something to celebrate!
What a fun tradition! So happy for you.
DEFINITELY worth celebrating!!! FOUR YEARS!!! I’m doing the happy dance for you here. Hugs my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5