Thursday, June 20, 2013

It Was a Day

So yesterday was certainly one of those days you don't care to repeat. Brian and I have been tag teaming with the kids for the last week or so as he stays busy with church planning/events, and yesterday was no different. He left the house before 8 a.m. and when he arrived home at 10:30ish, I immediately walked out the door.

It was my day to have my annual mammogram and then meet with the specialist, and while it's never my favorite event, I don't usually worry too much. That whole not worrying thing changed slightly as there was a whole flurry of activity while several techs looked over my paperwork, went over yet again our family cancer history, etc. Let's just say that my own medical history and our family history is not nearly as simple as it used to be.

I moved on to the actual mammogram, waited about 25 minutes for results instead of the promised 10 and went on to the doctor's office . . .where I proceeded to wait for over 90 minutes. And the only magazines he had in the office waiting room were from April 2009. Thank goodness for smart phones.

In the meantime, Becky was having her regularly scheduled 3 month visit with her oncologist (all clear). While I was waiting to see the doctor, Elizabeth (my youngest sister) texted me to let me know that her CA125 test came back elevated and she was scheduled for both a mammogram and an ultrasound for today.

As I was receiving that news, the doctor called me back into his office and let me know that last year's MRI showed suspicious lymph nodes he was keeping an eye on, and instead of doing an MRI every other year like we had planned on doing (this was to be my off year), he was scheduling me for one as soon as possible. It's important to note that my mammogram was clear both last year and yesterday.

I'm not going to pretend that all of this news doesn't make me slightly (or alot) worried, but I'm trying to go along with the mindset that there's nothing to worry about yet (for both me and Elizabeth).

While I was spending way too many hours in doctor's offices and driving to and from Nashville, Brian was at home with Camden who was camped out on the living room floor with his blanket and book. He was running a 101+ fever and had a stomachache. Thankfully, he woke up this morning at 6 feeling very much himself.

Brian and the kids headed to the lake with some friends while I stayed home to spend multiple hours editing very cute family pictures from a photoshoot last week and now I'm headed to a fancy English Tea at that family's house. I am very much looking forward to some grown-up conversation and good food!

I have a feeling today will be better than yesterday.



Amy said...

Praying that all that all of the scans and tests come back clear for you and Liz. Hope today was better too!

Melissa said...

Melissa, I'm praying for both you and Elizabeth. I also hope Camden is feeling better.

Mayme said...

You and Liz are in my prayers. Glad Camden is better.

Vicky said...

Its been a "stormy" week... and I will add a prayer of thanksgiving for Becky and one for your sister Elizabeth along with ones for you. Today WILL be better- I believe too.

Krista said...

Oh Melissa you deserve a very positive day soon - one you would love to repeat over and over. hugs girl.

Christine said...

What. A. Day. Oh my goodness... I really hope everything is ok for ALL of you!