2 down, 16 to go

Just a few highlights from today:

  • I gained 6.5 lbs in one day. Sounds fantastic, doesn't it? 
  • Oh, yes, we totally had to stop halfway home so I could go to the bathroom for the 120th time.
  • Had major abdominal port issues which involved a whole lot of pushing, a whole lot of needle sticks, and finally the doctor was called in, and he had issues as well. Twenty minutes later, things were finally in working order. Was not the most pleasant experience of my life, but it wasn't the worst either. Dr. W and Sara (chemo nurse) told me they've rarely had that much trouble and affectionately called me their Problem Child.
  • Was very encouraged that I felt good until about noon. Kinda went seriously downhill after that, but I expected it to happen earlier so I'm gonna call it a victory.
  • Thank heavens Dr. W allowed me to skip the last liter of fluids. I'm barely 5 feet tall if I stretch, and my poor short-waisted body just did not have any room left. I was able to get all the chemo in so it's okay that I had to miss the extra bag of fluids.
  • I'm really liking the small cozy chemo room with our one nurse. She is wonderful, and I love the comradrie and concern that everyone shows for each other. Those who are further in the process are so kind to us newbies.
  • It's 8:00 p.m., and I'm feeling really gross. Not necessarily looking forward to waking up tomorrow because it's probably going to be much worse.
  • Thanks so much for all the emails. I love getting them. If I haven't responded yet, it's simply because I'm finding it very difficult to focus on anything these days (notice the serious lack of scrap pages and pictures), but I love getting them.
And let me end on a funny note. Rory informed us that we were having chicken "scabetti" tonight for supper.

I took my camera with me this morning to snap a quick picture of the chemo room. Sara, who is my chemo nurse, thought I was crazy. :)

050511

Comments

Elizabeth Frick said…
I'm glad things are going well-ish so far :) And I love the little victories like less fluid and a cozy room to get your treatments in. What a comfort to have the friendship of people who have been in your shoes and can help you along the way! Just think - you'll be one of those kind souls one day and someone will be grateful for your friendship.
Hope you feel less gross soon!
Jenn T. said…
Melissa, you remain in my thoughts & prayers.
Brenda Lewis said…
Been thinking and praying for you all day. Hope you get some rest.
the nurses are the best! Todd had some great nurses and since it was todd and my first year dating that he went thru chemo (my first real completed scrapbook...our first year together; still in magnetic albums though), but the point of the long story. I took pictures of the outside and wishing I was as into photography to have taken pictures of the process and inside of his "chemo rooms". I think it would have "explained" it more to the kids for what dad went thru!
Happy thoughts tomorrow for you and the family!
Of course you took a picture of the chemo room--you're a blogger!!! My hope for you is that you feel less gross this morning than you thought. Little victories, friend.
Tim Lewis said…
Your amazing! We're praying for you daily.
Tim
Anonymous said…
We are praying for you here in Spain. Thankful that you have comfy chairs to sit in! Praying you only feel sick for 3 days instead of 7.
I read this on my phone, but have trouble commenting there. Since I'm late to the party, I'll leave it with telling you once again... you blow me away with your attitude and grace about this. You are amazing.
Barbara said…
Small victories are good. I can't imagine gaining 6.5 lbs in a day. Insane. I have a few close friends and family going through chemo now, so I like that you posted a picture of the chemo room. It gives me an idea of what you all are experiencing. Hope you're feeling good today. Or at least as good as can be expected!
Janet said…
With the chairs all lined up, it looks like there was going to be races in the infusion room. ;-). I love that you took a picture...and shared it here.

Funny/freaky story -- on the first day of my first outpatient chemo round it was Halloween -- and the nurses were dressed in costume. Can I just say it was completely surreal having my nurse hook up the chemo to my port...dressed like a CLOWN?! I am surprised I didn't run out of there screaming. (during my first 6 rounds I had to be hospitalized the whole time -- 1 full week with chemo 24 hrs/day)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel