1 down, 17 more to go

I experienced my first chemo treatment today, and it went well. I'll admit to a few tears right in the beginning because it felt like such a monumental moment, and not necessarily a good one. I quickly got over it as I sat and talked to the other 8 ladies in the room who were so friendly and encouraging. They've all been right where I am at right now, and they're surviving. They assured me it won't be easy, but that I can make it. In fact, the woman right across from me was close to my age, has a 6 year old daughter, and finished up her treatment today. It was a sweet moment to see her walk out of the room with a smile on her face in her sassy high heels.

I was also in tears as I came home and read all the Facebook messages and emails from my friends. You just have no idea how much I appreciate the prayers and well wishes.

Tomorrow's treatment promises to be alot more challenging. I will receive drugs through both ports; 5 liters of fluid into my abdomen, and I'll be leaving the office several pounds heavier; 1 liter of medicine through my shoulder port; as well as several steroids and anti-nausea medication. I'll also receive a shot that boost your immune system, but requires serious pain medication for the next several days. They tell me that by Friday I'll be out of commission for 3 to 7 days (3 is best case scenario and 7 is worst case scenario).

1 down, 17 more to go.

Rory spent the day with Mayme and Emma, and she's posted some videos if you want to take a look. Rory woke up at 6:15 this morning bouncing off the walls ready to go play. It looks like they had a blast, and I hope Mayme survived my girl!

I was trying to go all high fashion on you and show off my new bag, which I love. Yes, my head is cut off and it was only kind of on purpose.
050411_1

And just in case you've ever wondered about a port, here is my gory photo. A port actually is implanted underneath your skin and the catheter goes directly into your artery. I won't typically have the extra needle and tubes, but they left it in since I'm coming back tomorrow and I chose to avoid another needle poke. They tell me that it will toughen up, but right now it's still very sore (and I've still got the stitches from surgery).050411_2

Comments

Love the purse, and love that you got to see the woman finishing up her treatments. Keep your eyes and your thoughts on being *that* woman!

I have to admit, it sounds scary. You have my prayers.
Angie said…
I love your new purse!!! Thankful for the support and encouragement from others who are facing the same thing as you and that you could see one woman who has survived this! Continuing to pray for you and the whole family!
Joy said…
So thankful your first treatment went well. Will be praying for you tomorrow as you head into rougher days.

Love the new bag and look at the skinny, hot mama holding it! Looking at the 'sass' in your eyes in the second photo - you are soon gonna be marching out of that room in heels leaving cancer behind!!
Anonymous said…
So glad the first one is under your belt. Soon you'll be finishing up and celebrating! Praying for tomorrow and the days ahead. I love your new bag, very cute. :)
Mayme said…
Too cute bag!

I am so glad you got to witness the lady walking out and leaving those treatments in the dust. You will do the same thing!

Your girl was a blast! She and Emma had so much fun. Emma just needs to work on her sharing skills. I will have to tell you some of the funny things that were said.

Good luck tomorrow.
Shelly said…
Bless your heart.... you are such a trooper! Glad day one is over and praying the next few days are easier on you than expected!
Elizabeth Frick said…
Your bag is adorable, and your hair is even cuter. :)
I think it's so encouraging to see the woman who is finishing her treatments... that will be you someday, and we will all celebrate with you!!!
I have to thank you for your openness and honesty and willingness to share this process with us. I know so little about chemotherapy, and never really feel comfortable asking about details, so I appreciated seeing your port, and reading about what you're going through.
And my admiration of you grows every.single.day.
Erin said…
Been thinking about you throughout the day and wondering how you were doing. Thank you for being so transparent...it helps me know more how to pray for you. You look gorgeous and I love your new bag! So excited that you have one down...keep your eyes on the prize! You are a fighter and I will continue to pray that God will encourage you and meet you exactly where you are...with exactly what you need...moment by moment!
Wendy said…
Love the bag! And, you look awesome! So glad you were there with other ladies that understand exactly how you are feeling! God Bless! Continued prayers for you tomorrow and in the difficult days to come. Praying it is 3 and not 7!
Lindsey Carney said…
Been praying for you and so is our Women's Wed. night class. Glad you had those ladies with you today for your first treatment. Will pray for only 3 days instead of 7 days for you to be out of commission.
Sally-Girl! said…
Found ya through Shelly's blog and our girls with designer genes. Just wanted you to know that I have been praying for you daily and will continue to!

May God Bless you on this journey! Know that you are surrounded in prayer!

Your children are beautiful. I am partial to Korean children as my first daughter through adoption is from Korea!
Your bag is gorgeous but you look wonderful. I am praying for you.
Tiki said…
I love your new bag Melissa. My thoughts will be with you and your family in the hard days ahead. I hope it's only the 3 days of lousy rather than more. Keep up your admirable strength.
Karen said…
That bag is fabulous! I'm glad you met another survivor who is kicking cancer's butt. (BTW, still working on a Nashville connection for you.) I continue to pray for you every day. I also had to tell you that Max saw me reading your post and said, "Who that, Mom? She pretty!"
Amanda said…
Praying for you and specifically praying that it will be the 3 days instead of the 7.

I love the new purse and you look beautiful, port and all.
I am so glad you were surrounded by such a great group of women yesterday & I pray that you'll continue to receive such great support during this journey! 1 down...you can do this!!!

Happy Children's Day! Love you!
Mary said…
My SS class/small group here in Memphis is praying for you. Love your purse!
Alex said…
Love the bag! You are so cute!! I will be praying for you, especially for tomorrow!
Louise S. Lewis said…
Can't wait to see you in a black slinky dress with heels to match that adorable purse. That is our goal, finish this mess and get on enjoing the "bling" in our lives. God will bless you and we all pray for you.
Cindy said…
I keep checking in on your blog. Lots of thoughts and prayers headed your way. Cyn from the Holt BB.
Oh Melissa. I'm crying happy and sad tears all at once here. You are such an amazing person, and a constant inspiration. I know I said this on Flickr... but you are one beautiful lady (inside and out), port and all! I wish there was some way I could take a chemo rotation for you. I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'll leave you with a giggle (I hope): Doug and I talk about how you are doing often, and yesterday I told him to send happy thoughts your way since you were starting chemo. Well, Spencer overheard me and went in to school and made everyone send "MissMissa happy thoughts cause she has to wear camouflage today." {That totally could be a Rory statement, no?!}
subgirl said…
Melissa,
You are looking wonderful(the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen) and I'm seriously loving that purse!! I have a real purse fetish!
I can only imagine how scary this time is for you, but remember so very many are lifting you up in prayer. Our LORD will carry you through this time and give you the strength and comfort you need.
Just focus on one day (or minute) at a time!
Love and prayers!
Lisa said…
LOVe your new purse!! and you look wonderful and beautiful. So what if you have bad days you are allowed. Praying for that peace to find it's way back to you. You can beat this :)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel