First Outing

So today I had my first outing since surgery (March 30!). My mom, Rory, and I went to Kohl's and Sam's. We were gone for less than 3 hours, but it pretty much wiped me out. It was so good to put on real clothes (a.k.a. no workout pants) and see green leaves, flowers, and blue skies, not to mention retail stores. I realize that a hospital stay and cancer might not be a preferred weight loss plan, but it's pretty successful. I've lost 20 pounds since my doctor's visit 2 weeks ago, and it made my time the dressing room in Kohl's alot more fun today. I came away with shirts two sizes smaller than usual. :)

Tomorrow morning is my appointment with the oncologist to possibly remove my staples (which reminds me I really want to count these things before they're gone) and to talk about my treatment plan. I'd be lying if I said that there is not some fear in me about tomorrow. I've watched my sister go through cancer treatment, and it is obviously not fun. I'm scared to have scans to see if the cancer has spread; I'm scared to have a port put in; I'm scared to lose my hair; I'm scared of pain; I'm scared of our future; I'm scared of the fact that Brian has been replaced in his job at church, our salary is about to be half of normal, our move to Texas is postponed, and we're going to have to move from our house; I'm scared of too many things to list. But as always, God is faithful. And He has once again placed so many scriptures, books, songs, friends in my path to comfort me and to remind me that there is always a plan even if we can't see the picture all at once. Tomorrow really isn't anything to be scared of; it's only the next step in this journey that our family is on, and I won't be alone.

Picture of me and the kiddos from Sunday. Yes, my hair is in french braids and I look all of 12.
041311_1

And look what showed up on my doorstep this week!
041311_2

Comments

Joy said…
Melissa, I so wish I could find the perfect words of comfort to ease your fears and uncertainy of the future. I wish I was still in Nashville so I could give you a huge hug. Please know not a moment goes by that I am not thinking of you and praying for you all.

So glad you were able to get out awhile and do a little retail therapy! ; ).
Mayme said…
I love the braids! You are going to have to teach me how to do that to my girl!

You are never out of my thoughts and prayers. You will get through tomorrow and the next day too. This is your journey right now and I know that you will continue on it with grace.

Hugs to you and the family and I will be lifting you all up in prayer tomorrow.

You can totally pull off the hair thing! And 20 pounds......Not exactly the greatest weight loss plan.....but 20 pounds......WOW.
Elizabeth Frick said…
Oh Melissa... I will be thinking of you all morning tomorrow (and beyond, of course)! I just can't even imagine the entirety of your fears right now. But I am once again floored by your faith and your outlook. As unfortunate as it may be to have this to share with your sister, I hope it's also a comfort to not feel alone.
Please let me know if there is *anything* I can do from afar. I think of you all the time and wish I were a neighbor and in-town friend who could help you and your family out!!!
And WOW, 20 pounds?!
your mom braid it? (My mom did mine while watching flat football this past fall). I agree with Elizabeth that your faith and belief is beyond measure! It is amazing to read and gives me hope of what I have yet to "feel". Thank you!
Wendy said…
Great picture of you and your sweet kiddos! Love the braids! :) Praying for you so very fervently!! Sending hugs as well! I hope you feel them!
M :-) said…
Melissa, I'm struggling to find the perfect thing to say right now. Please know that you are always in my thoughts and my prayers.

Take one day at a time.

I love the picture of you with the kids. The braids are SO cute! The flowers are gorgeous.

I wish I could be there for you today, but know that I am there with you in spirit. (((hugs)))
Anonymous said…
Melissa, fill this blank space with
all the words that our Heavenly Father would say to you if He were there in Person, because, you know He is. And because He cares for you!!!!
So do the rest of your family far and near. Much love and support. Gma and Gpa E.
subgirl said…
Melissa! You look gorgeous! Of course I love seeing Camden and Rory, but I was anxious to see how you were looking after your surgery. Well, I needn't have worried. You look so good! I noticed even the nails have been done. I guess that's a benefit of all the resting time, you have time to do the nails. :-)

Remember that so many prayers are being sent up for you and your family. The LORD is working His plan and He will provide for all your needs. Just tell Him you are trusting Him to take care of all your fears and worries and HE WILL! I have seen Him provide time and again and it was so evident that He was The One doing the providing. You are His child and He will take care of you and your precious family. Rest in His Loving Arms!!!
Much love from NC!
Amy's mom
Anonymous said…
We've been thinking about you and praying for you all day (all week and longer) here at WCES.

When my brother had lymphoma he was nervous about getting a port put in, too. He decided that a port was preferable to multiple needle sticks and IV sites. That was his silver lining for ports.

Silver lining for losing your hair - you won't have to worry about bad hair days and you can wear really cute scarves and hats! (Tell me what your favorite color is and I'll crochet you some soft and pretty headgear!) Oh, and, sometimes hair grows back different so if you've always wanted curly hair you just might get it! There are some treatments that don't make you lose your hair. We can also hope for those.

I'm praying blessings and peace for you and the family. God will work everything out.

Always remember Jeremiah 29:11
KrisJ said…
You look adorable in that pic! I sure hope that apt went well. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Krista said…
You don't look 12 you look beautiful! Praying for you today and always.
Cindy said…
Visiting from the Holt BB. Thoughts and prayers are frequently going your way. :)
OK, so clearly very behind here... and I could have just skipped this post... but first, 20 pounds is AWESOME. Second, shopping is also AWESOME.... even if for only three hours!

But mostly... the fear, oh the fear. I had things I was scared of as well during all of my medical hiccups and they can be paralyzing.... but then you get through them (and you will!) and it's like "I can freaking do ANYTHING."

I think of you constantly... I wish I could do more... know I'm with you in spirit though! (And tell me if there is something I can do!!! I seriously did take notes on the flash webinar...you'll see.) :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel