Let's Play Ball

Camden's first baseball (Brian informs me I've been calling it "softball" which is incredibly incorrect) game was Saturday. Actually, it wasn't officially the first game - it was the kick-off Jamboree, which basically gives everyone a practice game. Camden is not only the first baseman, but he leads off the batting order, and he did a great job. He got several batters out, struck out the first time at bat, but got a good hit and made it home for his second time at bat. He was so funny during the game, because we were just sure he wasn't having a good time. He was so intense and there were no smiles! But as we were leaving, he turned to Brian and said, "that was the best time I ever had." I think he was just very into the game and a little nervous as well. He hasn't quite figured out that the play doesn't stop with him (because in practice, the play did stop with him) so we've got to work on following the other runners and throwing the ball the third or the pitcher in order to finish up, but he'll learn. The games last an hour and a half, which seems ridiculously long for a group of 5 year olds, but he paid attention the entire time which is a feat in itself for a 5 year old. They lost the game by ALOT, but we learned later that this team won the championship last year and is slated to win this year as well so maybe we'll have better luck at the next game.

Baseball took up most of our Saturday and between the sickness in the house last week, the lack of sleep for me and Brian's all-nighter Friday night with the youth group, we were all pretty exhausted Saturday and Sunday night. I'm hoping this week proves to be a bit calmer in the health and sleep department.

Our weather is crazy. It was almost 80 yesterday and today they're calling for snow. Seriously. Should make for a fun time running errands this morning! I'm going to have to pull out the winter clothes again from the basement I guess.

Before the game


"baseball ready"
(he stayed in this position the entire game!)

This cracks me up. He would jump up and down waving his arms
while he waited for them to throw the ball.


Rory was less than impressed with missing her nap for a baseball game.

A little sugar (and Uncle Michael's hat) cheered her up.

We may never get this uniform off him.

He's going to break hearts with this smile one day.
Game over

Rory's new "smiling" face.

Yesterday before church

One last little thought for the day. The 3 best parts of my weekend were:
  • seeing Camden absolutely beaming with pride in his uniform (at one point, he said, "I was so great" - how do you teach humility to a 5 year old?)
  • seeing Rory's little face beaming as she used the "big girl potty" (she says "here it comes, here it comes!" every time - hilarious!)
  • seeing Emma walk (on her own!) towards me - she had the same beaming expression!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome pictures Melissa and I bet Grandpa Hale loves the uniform!
Anonymous said…
Melissa, I'm Johanna, a dedicated reader from Sweden. I was searching for adoption videos on YouTube and found your videos from Seoul with Rory and then your blog. I'm an adoptee from South Korea and I just wanted to leave a few words here. I really enjoy reading your posts and see how you grow as a family and also, you take beautiful pictures of you and your family. Anyways, keep up with your posting and scrap booking, it's great! All the best/ Jo
KrisJ said…
So cute!! Camdens smile sure is sweet, I agree he will be a heart breaker! And way to go Rory with the potty!!
joelsgirl said…
Ahhh, I'm so jealous! Little league is high on my list of sacrifices I'm making to live overseas, lol. He looks adorable in his uniform.
Maria said…
Thanks for a great laugh! I can just envision Rory on the potty saying, "Here it comes! Here it comes!" So funny!!! Camden is just a doll in his uniform. He looks like a natural.
Becky said…
William keeps saying over and over "I want to play baseball with Camden!" and Xavier "I want to see Rory again."
Such sweet pictures and stories.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel