Giving Thanks

"The whole of the life -- even the hard -- is made up of the minute parts, and if I miss the infinitesimals, I miss the whole. These are new language lessons, and I live them out. There is a way to live the big of giving thanks in all things. It is this: to give thanks in this one small thing. The moments will add up." - Ann Voskamp

DSC_4290

Because life is work, busy, stressful . . .

Because parenting is hard . . .

Because I want something fun to happen every weekend instead of the drudgery of cleaning house, doing laundry, helping Brian grade papers, watching Brian work too many hours, etc. etc. etc. . .

Because my heart is so full of discontent that I forget to say thanks for all the many blessings that come my way every day . . .

I'm listing a few of those infinitesimals from the weekend that - without an intentional decision to acknowledge - would pass me by without so much as a glancing notice much less the whispered thanks they deserve.

sunshine!
a clean house
fresh smelling laundry
long chat with Becky
Brian, Camden, and Rory getting to go on a fun church outing
Bonus - that meant a quiet Sunday afternoon for me
painting Rory's toes for her
seeing Camden dripping sweat from playing so hard outside in the sun
that so many of the kid's fall/winter clothes from last year still fit
homemade pizza on a Saturday night
working in the toddler nursery (trying very hard to remember Col. 3:23-24)
finishing up 4 layouts
waffles for breakfast
practicing catechisms with the kids in the car
Rory's excitement over her birthday this weekend
coming up with a workable solution for a father/daughter camping trip (in the back yard)
work opportunities that help pay for fun stuff we haven't been able to do the last couple of years
watching 19 Kids and Counting with Rory (she is obsessed with this show for some reason)
good coffee
being able to attend Sunday School for the first time in months
eating ice cream in bed with Brian while watching a little TV
finishing up a book
placing a Persnickety Prints order of all my layouts and pics from the last 3 months
listening to the new David Crowder CD over and over. loudly.
for Addison's excited "Lissa!" many times over yesterday morning
closing the door on this week and moving forward to the next

Comments

I love this post!! What a great way to rejoice, be thankful... and look forward.
Vicky said…
I think I do the very same thing as you do- if I take the time to write it down, I regain my focus and feel better at the same time. I write as much for myself as I do for anyone else. This was beautiful and that quote is one of my faves. Blessings on your week!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5