Our Weekend

Rory's first soccer game of the season was Saturday and despite losing 4-2, it's progress from last year since we scored a total of 1 goal all season. ;)

Addison's first game
DSC_6918

Rory prior to the game
DSC_6899

Saturday afternoon we were able to drop the kids off at Gram and Gramp's house and saw The Hunger Games. I loved it, although I told Brian it's hard to say that you loved it when the subject matter is so dark. But it stayed very true to the book and really brought it to life, which just doesn't happen very often. It was good enough that Brian is now reading the book, and Brian doesn't read for fun very often!

Last weekend was Camden's first baseball of the season - just a prep tournament for the real season. He is playing 1st base and loves it. It's his favorite position, but he hasn't played it consistently for a couple of years. He isn't great at stopping grounders because let's face it, he doesn't want to get dirty. But he does have a fantastic fast and straight bullet to 3rd base that is right on the money 9 times out of 10, and I think that will keep him as the regular 1st base player.

There's something so quintessentially rural America about a Saturday afternoon at the baseball park. I often look at the parents who are so invested in it that they watch games even when their kids aren't playing; stay late to take care of the park; who so clearly LOVE the game; who are so invested in the players. And while I appreciate it, I also wonder if their family is suffering because of all that time they're investing in a game. Because, to be quite honest, one small season of soccer and baseball is about all this family can handle without those sports taking something away from our family life. And I just am not willing to sacrifice that for a game, no matter how much my kids love it.

DSC_6104

DSC_6157

DSC_6165

Despite having a March that was so hot we're in the record books, it was actually cold enough for sweatshirts this day at the park.
DSC_6180

And one more from my shoot last week just because I love it.
DSC_6658

Comments

Busy weekend at the ball parks! And I agree. One activity per kid is PLENTY for our family. Now if I could just find an activity for that younger kid of mine....
Vicky said…
The activities can certainly consume more time than you'd like them to! You're smart to maintain that balance. We have so many friends involved that we look forward to our time with them as much as we like watching our kids :)

Bring on baseball season- we can't wait!
Melissa L. :) said…
We are the same way when it comes to sports for the kids. Family time is so important to us, and I am not willing to sacrifice that for sports.

We saw the movie on Friday, and liked it. As soon as we left the movie, Greg said that he wanted to read the book. Like Brian, Greg doesn't read for fun very often. :)

Great pictures of the kids!
I am dying to see the hunger games... Dying! Gaugh!!!

And I'm with you! One kid/one activity... It's enough! Although... We haven't even hit the level of introducing games... That will be an eye opener for me, I'm sure!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel