Five on Friday (December 21, 2018)

Christmas music is playing, my Frasier fir candles are lit - the generic Aldi version that took the internet by storm and the Anthropologie version (currently 30% off with 85 hours of burn time) - and I have an extra cup of coffee in hand. Brian took the kids Christmas shopping this morning so I'm sitting in an empty house with only the glow of the tree lights. It is incredibly gray and gloomy outside. Exams, bus runs, and basketball/soccer practice ended yesterday. I made a trip to the library and brought home 22 books to get us through the weekend. There are Christmas cookies in the pantry and plenty of coffee in the cabinet. We have a couple of quiet days planned before family arrives Wednesday and our family holiday begins.

Untitled

Untitled


*****


1. A little trip down memory lane

Untitled




2. Not a single student on his high school run on the last day before the break.

Untitled

3. As a freshman (and taking all honors courses), Camden felt the pressure of cumulative exams and the knowledge that these grades go on his permanent record. He's never had to do much studying, but he put in some hard hours in preparation for this week. And we're all a little happier now that exams are over and his stress level has gone back to normal levels.

4. I received the Ember mug as a Christmas present earlier this month and I cannot even tell you how much I love it. And remember my stroop wafel recommendation last week? I discovered that the legitimate way to eat one is after it's been warmed up by the steam from your cup of coffee. Genius!

Untitled

5. I see a chiropractor generally twice a month so it was business as usual to have an appointment this week. What wasn't standard was the pain and discomfort I've been feeling in my back and hip. I breathed a literal sigh of relief as the doctor acknowledged that my hip was very much out of whack. That feeling of relief reminded me of two Decembers ago when Dr. C informed me that the pain was related to cancer growth. Do you know I spent months convincing myself that pain was nothing? I can't be the only one who doesn't trust their intuition, who keeps a negative running commentary in their head - your pain isn't real, anyone else could handle this better than you, why don't you do more for church/home/family, when are you going to step up, lose the weight, be a better mom, etc. It seems like just a little thing - this hip issue - but it was enough to make me rethink how I talk to myself, doubt myself, bully myself and I'm going to do better. 

This weekend's plans involve Home Alone (first time for the kids), date night tomorrow for the adults, Christmas service Sunday and as much lounging as we can fit into 3 days. We'll catch up on adulting tasks after we've relaxed ourselves into oblivion.

Comments

Your Holliday weekend sounds blissful! Especially the part with the twenty two books!!! I’m the only one in my family without an Aldi’s nearby and I’m starting to get REALLY BUMMED about it! I may need to trek out to Trader Joe’s to “get my fix”??? HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIEND!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel