Five on Friday (January 5, 2018)

The first Five on Friday of 2018!
Untitled


1. Brian and I headed back to work/school on Tuesday. Guess who slept through the alarm until 6:40, which is exactly 10 minutes before I needed to leave and about 20 minutes before Brian should have headed out. Brian and I both woke up panicked, which was certainly not the most peaceful way to start the year. Funny - Rory, who always sets her alarm to tell us goodbye on the mornings when we leave but they stay, set her alarm for 6:00 and actually came downstairs and realized our door was closed and didn't want to interrupt us. She came back down at 6:15 but still didn't knock on the door. At that point, she gave up and just went back to bed for good.

2. Speaking of Rory, guess who tried to sneak out of the house with make-up on her face. Because she has not learned the art of subtle or sneaky, it was bright blue eyeshadow which I spotted immediately. I am no dummy.

3. Wednesday, which I was dreading more than I can say, actually turned out to be a sweet day. Still long, still lots of doctors, still chemo, but sweet. Mom came with me which gave us a chance to really catch up after the holidays. The eye doctor's assistant said I was her favorite, and my chemo nurse (who I don't have every week, but often) also called me her favorite. Both the lab gal and the receptionist in the infusion waiting room have my name and birthdate memorized (which is both sweet and also a reminder of just how often I am there). Nothing too strong in the way of side effects so far.

4. Because every book you've been waiting for arrives from the library at once, I currently have these books in my living room waiting to be read in a mere 3 weeks time: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, Turtles All the Way Down by John Green, Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan, and The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman.

5. In 2016 I read When Breath Becomes Air, which is the memoir of a 36-year old neurosurgeon diagnosed with terminal cancer at the end of his extensive medical training. It has over 7,000 reviews and a 4.5 star rating on Amazon if that tells you anything. I stumbled across this article earlier today about his wife, and it made me so happy.

Our weekend plans are both busy and not-so-busy. The kids were so desperate to get out of the house that they grocery shopped bright and early with me. Christmas break was too short for the adults, maybe a couple of days too long for the kids. We have tickets to see The Greatest Showman tonight; tomorow afternoon is the Titan's playoff game (we're watching from the cozy comfort of our own couch). Sunday is church and a nursing home service (the children's choir is singing). Happy Friday, friends.

Untitled


Comments

Way to start your year off with a BANG! Love these five things.... especially your book list (cause it matches the titles on my kindle), and the selfie (cause it reflects our life here)... got quite the giggle about the makeup, and cringed along with you on the oversleeping. Oy! :) HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel