Lashes and Brows

After talking with the oncologist yesterday (I actually didn't get to see my own doctor but the oncologist who created the trial drug instead), the decision is to move forward with the taxol + clinical trial drug at a slightly reduced dose. I am to keep the doctors a little more informed on how I'm feeling regarding the neuropathy and let them know before the side effects become severe. I admit that I brushed the extreme numbness and pain aside for too long. I'm not sure if the outcome would be any different if I would have said something earlier, but moving forward I'll be less of a superhero. ;)

I did not intend to cry (and haven't cried up to this point), but my poor nurse was on the receiving end of my tears as I pointed out my eyebrows and eyelashes were growing. I am feeling a slight bit obsessive over these eyelashes/brows right now. Most days I can put aside the fact that I am a hairless human, but not-so-far from the surface, I feel very vulnerable and self-conscious. I think I can chalk up my newly developed make-up obsession to this vulnerability.

So I am going to work on feeling grateful for this ongoing chemo and pray that these drugs continue to work. After all, they are producing the most progress I've had in 6.5 years and it would be silly to feel sad about that.

Just for memory-keeping purposes, I'm going to mention that my number one thing I am grateful for about this break is that is has allowed me to go back to 3 days a week of work. Not only has it been a crazy time in the office and I couldn't have possibly kept up during chemo, but the extra money has been very timely. AND that break included the weekend Becky was here for our birthday trip (so sad it came and went so quickly!).

I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord. Ps. 116:17

Comments

Una said…
Melissa, I'm really glad the treatment is working and that you're permitted to continue. Have you heard of alpha lipoic acid (ALA) supplements, B complex and L-Glutamine to help reduce the neuropathy? The ALA is showing success with diabetic neuropathy and some cancer patients report it reduces neuropathy. I'm on weekly Taxol and the chemo pharmacist as well as my oncologist approved these supplements for me as they have no contraindications with Taxol. I've finished week 6 and I have none to speak of. Not sure these would interact with your trial meds, but might be worth having the conversation.

The best to you from one Baldyrocks to another.
Una

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5