Five on Friday (August 18, 2017)

But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. The Lord isn't really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. -2 Peter 3:8

1. I don't know if I've ever explained my work situation. I am the assistant to the CEO of a publishing company who also hosts and produces a large family ministry conference. It is an awesome job. A significant part of my job is to attend the administrative planning meetings and stay up to date on what is going on so that I can better serve the CEO. It is absolutely a privilege to see the planning, vision, and problem-solving that occurs behind the scenes. A privilege.

During our weekly meeting Monday morning, they surprised me with donuts (cronuts to be exact) to celebrate my good scan news last week. After 6.5 years of ups and downs, we don't tend to celebrate much in the way of cancer these days, and it was more precious to me than I can say when they chose to celebrate that news.

Untitled

2. And speaking of news, my CA125 number from last week came in and it has dropped down into normal range. A number we haven't seen since 2014. A number worthy of a happy dance, according to my generally non-happy dancer oncologist.

Untitled

3. I finished 3 books this week: I've been slowly reading Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates for many months trying to take it in and understand. The book is a series of essays written by the author to his son chronicling his experience as a black man in America. It is one of those books that is beautifully written and gives me an entirely different perspective than my own experience. As I get older, I find myself increasingly driven to pursue perspective outside my bubble, and this is a good one. In an entirely different vein, I also finished The Identicals by Elin Hildebrand - definitely, an easy summer read. Finally, I finished My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout. I'm not sure I know how to explain this book other than it is a quick but very literary, artistic book. I'm eager to read the follow-up to it Anything is Possible. These 3 books could not be any different!

4. Camden and Rory seem to have settled into this new school year so well. In fact, this morning they were both up and ready to walk out the door by 6:30. We don't leave until 7:15 on Fridays! Does this mean I have to let them stay up later? Because I really treasure that final quiet hour at the end of my day. In other news, Camden has both basketball tryouts tonight followed by cross country. He has run approximately 11 miles this week already and tonight's practice will bump him up to 15+. Who knows what basketball tryouts will include. He should be sleeping more, not less.

Eighth grade means official typing lessons from school and so both kids have been obsessed with www.typingclub.com. I fully realize that many kids are technologically proficient at this point, but we choose to limit access to computers so they're a little behind the curve but right where I want them. To be perfectly honest, I care little for the fact that we are a technologically advanced society when it comes to my kids. They have plenty of time to devote themselves to laptops and devices.

Untitled

5. I have had the Modern Renaissance eye palette on my wish list for well over a year now and when Ulta offered a 20% coupon last week, I caved. It is very different from anything I have but all my YouTube watching is making me try new things.

Untitled

So our weekend plans include basketball tryouts, cross country practice (during which Brian and I are going to spend the 1.5 hour time slot at a local coffee shop eating ice cream before supper), pizza with my parents tomorrow night, and church and planning meetings Sunday. Monday is Eclipse Day and we're all off school/work and attending an Eclipse party. It sounds like Tennessee is going to be over-run with visitors so we'll mostly stay close to home. Happy Friday, friends.

Comments

Ramsh said…
1. You look gorgeous!
2. Totally agree with you on limiting technology for kids! My 11 year olds are (per their report) two of only 3 kids in their grade who don't have a cell phone. You're right - they have plenty of time for that later.
Squirrel66 said…
So pleased to learn of your good results. Prayers continue to cross the Atlantic for you & your family. Gill
Danyelle said…
So grateful for the good scan results. I had to stop and thank God as soon as I read it.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5