Currently (Summer 2017)

I've had several requests for what I've been reading lately so I thought I would just type up a quick list of what we've all been reading, watching, listening to over the summer.

Reading:

Dreamland Burning (5 stars) - loved this YA story that moves back and forth between current times and Jim Crowe days. The story is set in Tulsa and it was fun to see references to restaurants and hot spots I've been. Camden also read this one and loved it.

The Turquoise Table: Finding Community and Connection in Your Own Front Yard (3 stars) - this was a visually beautiful book and I love the concept, but the content felt more like it could have been covered in a blog post as opposed to a book.

The Hate U Give (4 stars) - loved the perspective this book gave. Without the language, it would have warranted 5 stars from me.

Lonesome Dove (4 stars) - this was a re-read for me from back in my college days and it held up. Gritty and rough, but beautiful writing and a page turner. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Ginny Moon (4 stars) - written from the perspective of an autistic 14-year old. I almost put this down halfway through, but I'm glad that I didn't because it came together in a satisfying way.

Love and First Sight (4 stars) - easy YA read

Written in the Stars (4 stars) - an immigrant YA story that was darker than I expected

American Wife (4 stars) - I could not put this one down and read this 555-page story quickly. Some crude moments and language that I fast forwarded my way through.

I'm about halfway through these 3 and they're excellent: The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in it's Place by Andy Crouch, Fearless Parenting: How to Raise Faithful Kids in a Secular Culture by George Barna/Jimmy Meyers, and The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak (Camden read this one first then passed it on to me).

Camden has been reading some Frank Peretti (a throw-back from my own teen years) and Steve Sheinkin books while Rory has read a whole bunch of Nancy Drew.

Watching:

Kids and I have thoroughly enjoyed America's Got Talent and World of Dance (which was surprisingly un-sexy and very family appropriate) this summer. I typically like my TV on the light side (like AGT and World of Dance) but have enjoyed these decidedly not-light shows recently: Turn (all 3 seasons), American Crime (first season), and Prison Break (Brian and I have made it about halfway through this reboot).

Listening:

Anne of Green Gables audiobook (the Rachel McAdams version) - we started this on our road trip and while it wasn't an immediate hit, the classic eventually won everyone over. In fact, the audiobook was such a success that I have 2 more in the queue ready to go (Wonder by R.J. Palacio and Pax by Sara Pennypacker).

Podcasts: Ear Hustle (human interest stories from inside San Quentin prison), Sorta Awesome (always my favorite listen during Saturday cleaning), How I Built This (specifically the Kendra Scott, Spanx, and Rent the Runway episodes), and For the Love with Jen Hatmaker. And as always: The Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey and The Boo Cast with Sophie Hudson and Melanie Shankle.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

7/52: Pastel

Project 365/52 - Week 5