It's a new day, a new decade

It feels like a different life when the last decade began. Life was simple in 2010. Brian was teaching at a little country school and ministering at a small country church. I was a stay-at-home mom; blogging was my best friend. I remember family gatherings with all the kiddos piling on top of each other (and grandpa) as the sweetest of times. Becky was truly on the mend after 2-3 hard years of cancer treatment and recovery. Cancer was in our past.

It's almost impossible to dwell upon how young and naive we were in 2010 - before we knew anything about parenting teenagers, losing grandparents and a sister-in-law and two brothers-in-law, failed cancer treatments and surgeries. The last decade has, without a doubt, been the most challenging to date. I suspect we're not alone. Many adults moving from thirties to their forties might consider this phase as the most challenging. I know we're not the only family to course correct in the career department or to flounder as we try to understand how a middle school brain functions or still love the church when its members are not very lovable.

The past decade has brought us closer to the Lord and to our family. Literally, my parents live 17 minutes from my front door to theirs. God has provided in ways I cannot verbalize, and I am 100% absolutely without a doubt sure He has provided in ways I don't even see. This decade brought us a new church family, and we won't ever stop thanking Him for changing us and for seeing Him work in the lives of others. But the pain of watching people say no to Him is gutwrenching.

And so here we are with a brand new decade stretching out in front of us. Cancer is our present and future. At 44, Brian works longer and harder than ever before. God continues to provide for us, and we keep taking it one step at a time in all areas of life. Hard to imagine, but Camden and Rory will be full-fledged adults when this decade is over, finished with college and possibly married with their own kiddos (how can that be??). I hope we begin that next decade closer to the Lord and each other, secure in the knowledge that we chose to be thankful every day.

Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power! -Psalms 98:1

Untitled

In lighter news, with our Christmas company gone and work about to begin again, Brian and I braved the crowds and spent time at Dillards taking advantage of their annual additional 50% off clearance sale that happens every January 1. Many years ago, my mom and sisters and I began a tradition of buying a new purse every year. It's one of my favorite days all year, but we didn't have the chance to shop this year. I couldn't have been more surprised when Brian didn't even bat an eye when I picked out a beautiful gray Frye bag and coordinating Patrica Nash wallet. Not a bad start to 2020.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Ramsh said…
Beautiful post.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel