Five on Friday (September 11, 2020)

But as for me, God's presence is my good. I have made the Lord God my refuge, so I can tell about all you do. -Psalm 73:28

1. Sunday after church we jumped in the car and made our way to East Tennessee for a quick overnight visit with Brian's parents. I was pretty desperate to get away from the house! If you're also still sheltering at home, then you understand how difficult it is to continue to stay home for months on end especially when it seems no one else is doing so. I convinced Brian to grab curbside coffee from Crema on the way out of town. The weather was beautiful; Rory got to drive Gramps's mule (so did I), and we unexpectedly had the opportunity to see friends for a bit. The trip was definitely worth the hours on the road.

Untitled


Untitled

Untitled 

2. Rory returned to school Tuesday after nearly 2 weeks of remote learning, and she was ready (although I think she secretly misses staying home all day and the extra screen time).

3. Basketball conditioning started Tuesday, and Camden is thrilled to be back at it. Because of his broken finger in December, he missed the rest of last season and he sure does love basketball. Not only did he continue to play at home (he and Brian have heated matchups in the driveway) but we've been watching A LOT of NBA basketball especially now that the playoffs are here. Camden can tell you every single stat about every player, regardless of team. Seriously, the amount of useless information that lives in his head is astonishing. Besides the gameplay (which seems to be even better in the NBA bubble), I appreciate the players, coaches, and staff's attempt to bring awareness and change. While I know not everyone agrees, my belief is that they are simply doing their best to do something in a time where so many feel helpless. 

4. I've been growing my hair out for most of 2020 and it's officially the longest it's been since I chopped it off prior to beginning my first round of chemo way back in May 2011. I can put it in a ponytail (maybe not the prettiest ponytail, but a ponytail) but my goal is a messy bun. My guess is that's going to take a while. 

5. More books and TV to recommend: Open Book by Jessica Simpson came highly recommended, and it did not disappoint.  The Switch by Beth O'Leary is our book club pick for the month, and it is delightful. I'm currently reading The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett and would also recommend although I'm only halfway through (and subject matter is definitely heavier). I've been working my way through all 5 seasons of Alias since May and love it so much that I hate to see it end (I only have a couple of episodes left). On a less entertaining note, Immigration Nation on Netflix is a heartbreaking look at immigrants and our system under the current administration. Don't watch if you don't want to learn hard things. I cried a lot through the first 2 episodes and have yet to muster up the emotional energy to watch the final 3 episodes.

Have a great weekend, friends.

Comments

Amy said…
We binge watched Alias over the summer. I couldn't stand for it to end either! 😭

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel