Finally home and blogging

I hardly know where to begin because after blogging several times a day, it seems like forever since I've posted. I will just start where I left off and you can skip to the end if you just want the pictures or if I've already talked to you and told you about our trip.

Saturday, we left for the airport at 1:00. We took a taxi to the Renaissance Hotel and then took the bus to the airport. We stood in line forever to buy a lap ticket and check our baggage. After we made it through that line, we were able to meet up with Michelle, who I know from the Holt message board, and we waited for SIX hours until our flight left. It was delayed about 2 hours. Rory had a blast at the airport running around and playing. She fell asleep shortly before boarding and proceeded to sleep for 13 hours of the 14 hour flight. I am so grateful because she was not a happy camper when she woke up, and it was a pretty difficult last hour. We arrived at Atlanta and quickly realized we were not going to make our connecting flight into Nashville. The luggage was sent to the wrong baggage claim, the line at immigration was RIDICULOUSLY long (Rory had been screaming for about 2 hours at this point, and I was just exhausted). Becky met us in Atlanta, and it was so good to see a familiar face. We all got our flights changed and left Atlanta at 10:40 and arrived in Nashville at 10:40. Lots of friends and family were there to greet us, and it was wonderful. My friend Angie took pictures for us, and I can't wait to see them.

We didn't arrive home until after midnight Saturday, and Rory was up and going strong until 3:00 a.m. Brian and I were both just in a daze all day Sunday. We had quite a bit of family who provided lunch and came over to visit. We enjoyed talking with them, but were just exhausted. Sunday night was much of the same - Rory is quite perky in the middle of the night!

Monday night we had a long night again - she finally went to sleep in our bed at 4:00 a.m. I woke her up at 8:00, and so far she's just taken one nap today. Brian's got her over at the church gym with Camden playing ball so I'm sure this will wear her out.

As far as our attachment, I think she is doing well. She has been very attached to me and very clingy. I haven't been able to leave the room or be out of her reach, and she's not fond of anyone else touching her or any of her things. She is very strong-willed and has a serious scream when things are not going her way. I am doing my best to make sure things go her way! Sunday and Monday she was very cranky, but she has been quite pleasant today and seems happier to play with toys and is not clinging to me quite as much. She still wants me within an arm's reach, but is spending more time in my lap or on the floor with me instead of buried in my neck. She is now allowing Brian to touch her about half of the time (the other half she screams!).

She is jabbering away in Korean, but of course we don't know what she's saying! She LOVES music and sings all the time. It is especially cute when she sings to the baby dolls. I have been singing to her alot and she just sings along (different songs than me), and she really likes Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

All in all, I think everything is going well. I actually don't think she's gone through the grieving stage yet. While there have definitely been some tears and a few times where she is crying for her Omma (foster mother), it hasn't been too extreme, which makes me think that there are sad days ahead. She saw a picture of the foster mother on the computer last night and got very upset. Today she has started to call Brian Appa (Korean for daddy) on a regular basis and to call Camden Oppa
(Korean for brother). She is also handing out lots of hugs and kisses to us, which is sweet. She waves and says bye-bye, peek-a-boo, and thank you.

I am so thankful that her foster mother sent home her towel, blanket, pillow, and stuffed animal because she is taking great comfort in them. The towel goes with her everywhere, and she really is attached to the blanket and pillow. I know that it is helping comfort her. She is eating really well - loves strawberries, kiwi, pasta, soup with peas and chicken and yogurt. She also is taking lots of bottles. She wants one as soon as she gets up in the morning, one mid-afternoon and then one before bed as well as when she wakes up at night. I'm only giving her about 2-3 ounces each time, and I know our doctor is going to tell us to take her off, but I plan to leave her on the bottle for a little while as she adjusts to us.

I think that's about it for now. I'm pretty sleep deprived and computer time is scarce, but I will try to update often with pictures. Here are a few from the last several days.

Our first morning in Korea
Our first morning in Korea - she's so sleepy.

Our first morning in Korea - she fell asleep on my lap.

Playing outside on Sunday
Feeding her baby doll

Comments

Jaime said…
She is just perfect and beautiful! :) I had never thought about a grieving process but that makes perfect sense. I am praying that it will go quickly and that it all goes well. I hope you are doing well with everything.
Jaime said…
me again :P I blogged about you :)
Angie said…
So glad to see some news from you! I have been thinking about you guys but didn't want to call not knowing when you might be getting some sleep. Sounds like things are going pretty good. People have been asking me at work if I have heard from you and how things went Saturday night at the airport. I will have the pictures ready for you Friday. I may try to email a few of them to you tomorrow. Let me know if you need anything! I still can't get over how beautiful she is and how she is such a perfect fit for you guys! God is awesome!!
Anonymous said…
She is adorable! I hope that things continue to go smoothly. Thanks for all of the information!
Wendy said…
Melissa,
So happy to hear that things are going well. What an absolutely gorgeous little girl she is!! How is Camden doing? Continued prayers for all of you! God Bless....and congrats again! Sooo happy that she is home safe and sound! :)
Karen said…
It sounds like things are going well. I'm glad you all arrived home safely and that she's adjusting. I'm tired for you!! You're making me SO EXCITED for our process to hurry up!!!!!
Anonymous said…
First of all let me say how darn cute Rory is. I love the photos with all the bows in her hair. Praying that things get easier every day. Hope she gets her days and nights worked out.
Christine (tinetine)
Amanda said…
So glad you are home. I have checked the blog everyday. I was so glad to see an update this morning. I am so sorry for the sleepless nights and the hard adjustment, but I am sure you already know that it will come and you will get your routine down and things will get back to normal. You may have to remind me of my own words in a couple days when Emma gets here and we are completely sleep deprived. I will be praying for your family's adjustment and God's grace to be resting upon all of you during this time. I loved the pictures of Rory and you. There is nothing more beautiful than a mother holding her sleeping child!
StarWarsFans said…
I just can't get over how beautiful she is. Wow! Anyway, Praise the Lord! that she slept on the flight. What a blessing. I look forward to seeing beautiful scrapbook pages of your beautiful daughter!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogging, Not Blogging

Cousins, part 3 (the adult version)

7/52: Pastel